Fast recovery from "Stopped responding"

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

dougalex

Fast recovery from "Stopped responding"

Postby dougalex » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:47 pm

THIS IS CRITICAL ISSUE BECAUSE OF IMPACT ON LIVE SHOW

How can I get Forte running again quickly after "Program not responding"

After closing Forte following "Program not responding", Forte will not restart for about 5 minutes. A killer in a live show (like last night).
It seems in windows task manager, Forte continues to show as active long after I forced it to close.

I tried unplugging the USB cable to my audio interface in hopes of that would help Forte "let go" and close so I can re-launch Forte.
But that does not help.

I NEED A SOLUTION TO THIS OR I WILL "LOSE MY GIG"

evilantal

Re: Fast recovery from "Stopped responding"

Postby evilantal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:30 am

Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

yamus

Re: Fast recovery from "Stopped responding"

Postby yamus » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:41 pm

Dougalex, I think this is actually related to Windows more than forte, but that's a bit of a guess on my part. I have experienced the same thing at times. I think the problem is Windows does not release the audio drivers and so you cannot get forte to stop or start quickly. Do you have an SSD as your main drive? That's the number one thing I would recommend, as that enables the arguably quickest way to recover, by rebooting the entire system. With an SSD and not much loading during startup, this can happen in a minute or less. For me, it's about two to three minutes to reboot and get all the way back into my rack. I do agree though and wish there was a better solution that didn't require reboot in those cases.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”