Best practices of routing effects

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

evilantal

Best practices of routing effects

Postby evilantal » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:41 am

What are the peoples' experiences with routing effects in forte?
I'd like to find some best practices...

I currently use only a few insert effects on individual instrument modules (Rotary sim on VB3 for instance) and several effects busses.

Main output bus > Gain > Console Emulation > Compressor > Harmonic Enhancer > Stereo out
"Lead" bus > Distortion/Saturation > Delay > routed to Main bus using AuxBusFader
"Pad" bus > CamelSpace > Reverb > routed to main bus
"Reverb" bus > Reverb > routed to main bus

Instrument1 > Reverb Bus
Instrument2 > Main Bus
Instrument3 > Lead Bus
Instrument4 > Reverb Bus
etc.

It's not super efficient as long as forte doesn't have bus-to-bus routing. Another disadvantage is no control of effects amount per instrument.

What are you guys using? All inserts? Send/returns?
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Angel

Re: Best practices of routing effects

Postby Angel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:30 pm

This very similar to my routing:

Master Bus: Limiter - Peak Level Meter - FOH Output
Main Bus: Multiband Compressor - Reverb - AuxBus to Master Bus
FX BUs: Multiband Compressor - MultiFX - Reverb - AuxBus to MasterBus

Each instrument has its own channel strip with eq. Instruments routet to either FX or Main. Multiout VSTs partly to differnt busses.

As many of my instruments like Hypersonic/HalionSonic/NI Kontakt have their own FX, and are multitimbral, I need just some little common reverb to glue things together. Most time the FX bus has no FX at all, for sounds that need to be dry.

Angel

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:36 am

Thanks for chiming in Angel.
That's an interesting option to add a channel strip to each instrument module. Doesn't that tax your system a lot? I seem to remember you use a lot of plugins (as do I)...

Would you mind sharing your FX choices?
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

yamus

Postby yamus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:19 am

I use a multiband limiter (in varying amounts on each patch) on just about every instrument to help level out the volume of each instrument before sending to the bus. Depending on the instrument, I use several other effects at the instrument level, like filters on some instruments, vocoder and harmonizers on a vocal track (for singing live), and other effects.

On the main bus I also have a limiter and several other effects. I have a second bus which is basically just reverb.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”