3 general questions about "Forte 4 Performer" - I want to buy it :-)

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

liveplayer

3 general questions about "Forte 4 Performer" - I want to buy it :-)

Postby liveplayer » Wed May 06, 2015 5:50 pm

Hello everybody,

as you can see in my profile, I am a new user here. Though I have got a private studio for 4 years now, I am completely new in the field of playing vst-instruments live. Recognizing that "Forte 4 Performer" gives me a lot of opportunities for my plans, I have been working with the trial-version of it for 3 days now. Since I don't have a controller keyboard here to answer my questions on my own, I want to ask three questions which will tell me if "Forte" is really the right software for me (I hope so ... at last, us windows-users were not forgotten). I am sure you can help me :-) Let's go ...

1) I understand what I need a controller-keyboard for: Change parameters of the loaded instruments. Do I need any third-party-software like "automap" to assign the different parameters to the hardware-buttons or can I simply do this via MIDI CC (so that one button on my hardware sends MIDI CC 45 for example and I can configure the plugin loaded in "Forte" to react on this MIDI-message)?

2) Does "Forte 4 Performer" support MIDI-Feedback out of the box, so that I load a rack and immediately the led-rings of my (imaginary) controller indicate the last position of a knob for example?

3) What does it mean if I find the information in the "purchase section" that only "Forte 4 Producer" can handle various hardware profiles? Does this mean that I can attach only one keyboard to "Forte 4 Performer"?

It would be so nice if someone could answer my questions. Before buying this great piece of software (this is my opinion after the firts tests), this would give me a better feeling for building my first live-setup :-)

evilantal

Re: 3 general questions about "Forte 4 Performer" - I want to buy it :-)

Postby evilantal » Thu May 07, 2015 2:04 am

Hey there and welcome!

Forte is indeed a fantastic tool for live performing. Flexible, stable and easy to work with (once you get the hang of it ;) ).
I'll try to answer your questions.

1) I understand what I need a controller-keyboard for: Change parameters of the loaded instruments. Do I need any third-party-software like "automap" to assign the different parameters to the hardware-buttons or can I simply do this via MIDI CC (so that one button on my hardware sends MIDI CC 45 for example and I can configure the plugin loaded in "Forte" to react on this MIDI-message)?
Both are possible. Within forte one can assign any incoming MIDI CC to any other MIDI CC or plugin parameter on a per-plugin basis. That way, your mappings and routings are stored within forte, independent of which controller you happen to be using.
Automap is a service for Novation controllers that remaps all controls automatically for each plugin to a predefined mapping when its interface is opened or lets you select which plugin to control from it's menu structure. Forte doesn't let you choose which plugin interface is open in each scene, though. So you'll have to use the selection via the menu on the controller or use something like BlueCat Audio's Remote Control.

2) Does "Forte 4 Performer" support MIDI-Feedback out of the box, so that I load a rack and immediately the led-rings of my (imaginary) controller indicate the last position of a knob for example?
Forte supports this kind of bidirectional feedback only for controlling the forte interface functions itself (mute/unmute plugins, bypass fx, volume control for each plugin and bus, that sort of thing). It doesn't support MIDI feedback from plugins at the moment.

3) What does it mean if I find the information in the "purchase section" that only "Forte 4 Producer" can handle various hardware profiles? Does this mean that I can attach only one keyboard to "Forte 4 Performer"?
The "various hardware" this refers to deals with audio interfaces. Even in the regular version you can use different controller keyboards and assign them a logical name or use something like virtual MIDI ports. Forte also throws up a dialog when it can't find a controller used in your setup and allows you to choose a different controller, keeping all the other settings, routings, etc.
See here under "Configuring Options and Preferences">"MIDI Input and Output Ports"
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

liveplayer

Re: 3 general questions about "Forte 4 Performer" - I want to buy it :-)

Postby liveplayer » Thu May 07, 2015 3:32 pm

Thank you very much for your answers!

Now it seems as if I am a member of the forte-community ... I have bought it recently :-)

No more questions so far till I get my controllers and start playing around with the program :-)

Return to “Forte and EHCo”