Can EHCo make VST controls work effectively?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

bigalminal

Can EHCo make VST controls work effectively?

Postby bigalminal » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:26 am

I have just bought an Alesis Vortex wireless keytar. On some plugins in Forte, the controls work well. For instance, when using a Hammond clone called VB3, the Vortex pitch bend wheel does not bend the pitch but turns the rotary from fast to slow which is ideal and was in the software to start with. However, when trying to use the ribbon on the Vortex to add modulation on certain VSTs, it will not work at all. My question is this - can EHCo be used to somehow force the VST to do what I want i.e. make an unresponsive VST add modulation by reprograming the Vortex slider?

sosKeys

Re: Can EHCo make VST controls work effectively?

Postby sosKeys » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:08 am

Unless I'm missing something, you should be able to map the controller onto the VST plugin parameter in Forte. EHCo is not required unless you are using an external device.

In the MIDI Routing tab of the VST, select the From device that corresponds to the Keytar, then the MIDI channel (usually 1, but setup dependent). You can identify what channel and controller number the ribbon uses in the MIDI Monitor tab. Once you know the controller you are sending, rt-click the field in the To column in that row. You will be presented with options for MIDI controllers to remap to a different controller value, or, depending on the VST, you may be able to select the desired parameter from one of the Plugin Parameter lists (there may be more than one, they are numbered RCPX Predator has 8 for example). You can also use MIDI Auto-Train if you know the desired destination parameter to begin with; it will auto-detect the incoming controller when you arm it with the Train button and assign it for you.

In my setup, I use this mapping capability in regular VST instances (native Forte) and with external devices via EHCo to map the desired MIDI controllers to hardware synthesizers and Native Instruments Reaktor, a plugin that seriously undermines the stability of my Forte system if I run it in Forte. Hope this helps.

bigalminal

Re: Can EHCo make VST controls work effectively?

Postby bigalminal » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:05 am

Thats really helpful advice.. Haven't seen those mapping pages before. I'll work on it.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”