Bound to revert to V3 but there is good news

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

Igbro

Bound to revert to V3 but there is good news

Postby Igbro » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi all,

As an almost every day pro user of Forte using it for all my gigs, I'm bound to revert to V3. :-(
V4 on my system is too buggy. Crashes very often (while programming), can't re-order scenes (hold V3 issue)... I hope next versions will soon fix this.
This is the bad news, I paid for an update I can't use right now.
I must have my new V4 programming back into V3, but you can't load V4 rack into V3.
And the good news is.... You can import V4 scenes into V3!!!!!!
Thanks to the XML parsing I think, V3 ignores V4 new parameters and imports scenes like a charm!!!!! (Usually, you can't have backward compatibility)
So all the programming I've done into V4 is not lost. I imported each V4 scenes and saved the whole thing as a V3 rack.
Breathing again.... :-)

MikeG

Re: Bound to revert to V3 but there is good news

Postby MikeG » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi, I'm sorry you are having problems with Forte 4.

Loading Forte 4 racks into 3 is not a supported operation, BUT.... if you open the rack file (its XML) into a text editor, look at the 2nd like that says "<Rack Schema="8"....change that to a 7.

You do run the risk that if you were using any of the features that were changed in 4 (see the README or what's new) they will be lost in the saved rack, but if not, you can load it back into 3 and then check all your scenes to make sure they still do what you want.

I want Forte 4 to be better than 3, so if you can nail down some specific new bugs that I can reproduce, please post them on the support page.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Igbro

Postby Igbro » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:01 am

Hi Mike,
Tanks for your answer and the XML trick.
Importing v4 scenes into v3 worked for me. :-)
I allready submitted to you the "re-ordering scenes" issue I got in v4.
I will wait unil I find v4 as stable as v3 on my system...

Speaking about the XML, It's a long time (since early v3), that I want to write a little program, a kind of "offline Forte editor", to make editions in the XML that are not yet available inside Forte such as editing the same parameter over several selected scenes or thru the entire rack (very usefull and time saving), alphabetical sorting of scenes, transposing (available now in v4), split point or layer approach (instead of having to edit each channel individually)... And other things my experience on Forte programming will tell me.
Are you friendly with this idea?
Could you provide the Forte XML structure? (I already guessed some)
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Igor.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:29 am

Here is the XSD Schema for Forte 3 Racks: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brai ... /rcfv3.xsd

Code away :)

I've been considering some sort of Python based rack scripting system for awhile.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Igbro

Postby Igbro » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:51 am

Thanks man!

It's very kind of you.

The main motivation behind this is having the ability to edit the same parameter trough a bunch of selected scenes.
When fine tunning a rack after a gig, it's very time consuming to edit each scene for the same damned parameter.
Yes, you can already copy/paste or save/load Midi filters witch helps, but a direct editing would be even faster.
Other parameters like bus or inst volume should be included in this "mass" editing, control surfaces are not so far usable for me because volume resets to the stored parameters on each scene change.

An other one should be a more musician friendly approach in the workflow of Forte :-). In fact having a more keyboard oriented than module oriented user approach.
Like: "I got 2 keyboards hooked to Forte, ok, so what Vsti's I've mapped on the upper one? The lower one? On this key range?"
I think the starting point of all the musician programming path should be the keyboard leading to the plug in. (Forte is built exactly the other way)

This would be the dream Forte software replacing all hardware synths (it already does it for me!)

I don't now if I'll have the time to make this "Offline editor", it's a long time I've not been programming (even if it's could be a VB thing, performance wise) and my musician main activity is taking most of my time, but still investigating this...

Maybe you can make those ideas yours.... I'm using Forte all the time. :-)

Cheers.

Igor.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”