two controllers in Forte

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

charliesdog

two controllers in Forte

Postby charliesdog » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi.

I'm a guitar player masquerading as a keyboard player. I have a rig with two Yamaha midi controllers, connected to my laptop via usb cables, and I run Forte on the laptop with a variety of plugins. My problem is that I would like to be able to save scenes where each of the keyboards is configured for a different instrument, with different plugins. For the life of me I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. Both keyboards always play simultaneously through whatever plugin I am running. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

MikeG

Re: two controllers in Forte

Postby MikeG » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:26 pm

By default all MIDI inputs get routed to all plugins. The next step is to open the MIDI filter for each plugin and limit MIDI input to that plugin to one input device.

You do that in this interface: http://brainspawn.com/documents/forte3h ... mation.htm

Right click on a midi port name and select one of the quick routing options there to filter MIDI from only one input port.

This would make a good tutorial video.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

charliesdog

Postby charliesdog » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:06 am

Thanks for the reply, Mike.
I've made some progress since then, but am still struggling. I can route the sound from both keyboards to the desired plug-ins, and take a snapshot. I then change the sounds in the plug-ins, and take another snapshot. But whenever I go back to the first scene, I still have the sounds from the second snapshot.

I use NI Kontakt a lot, and found a video on YouTube about setting it up with Forte, whereby you set up an instrument bank and use midi commands to change instruments ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4nLSJoB9ro ). This works very well for me. But I can't figure out how to implement it with two controllers.

Basically, I have two controllers, and would like to save scenes where each is configured to play a different sound, and be able to recall those scenes. I have tried the following (I will stick with NI Kontakt as the example, since I use it the most)

1. Add two instruments, each with midi routing for one of the two controllers, and select appropriate sounds. Take snapshot. Change the sounds in both instruments. Take another snapshot. Switching back and forth between the two scenes only results in the second snapshot. The first scene is lost, or overwritten, or something.

2. Same as above, except after taking the first snapshot, I delete both instruments and start over, adding two new ones. Adjust midi routing, select sounds, and take another snapshot. Same result as above; Switching between the two scenes won't recall the first scene.

3. Using scene commands to change instrument banks, as per the youtube video cited above. This works well, but I can't figure out how to do this with multiple instruments.

Any thoughts? I'm convinced this can be done, but I seem to be missing some detail.

Thanks much.

Jim

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:32 am

Hi Jim,

I think I'll be able to help you, as I use Kontakt with success in exactly the way your describing.
But first I'll need some more information on your setup to see where the problem lies.

- Have you added Kontakt to the plugins that don't load preset data in each scene?
Like here:

- How have you organized your instruments in Kontakt? Multiple instruments in the same Kontakt bank? Could you post a screenshot?

- How are you setting the scene command options in the plugin's dialog? Could you post a screenshot for this as well?
I mean this screen:
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

charliesdog

Postby charliesdog » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:20 pm

Evilantal

Thanks so much! I plan on going to our rehearsal studio a few hours early tomorrow, hoping to sort this out. I will get the screen shots that you requested then. I can already tell you that I have NOT added Kontakt to the list of plugins that don't load on scene changes.

Thanks again, and I will be in touch.

Jim

charliesdog

Postby charliesdog » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:29 pm

Evilantal

Jim here. The bad news is that I made the screen captures you requested, and then left them on the desktop of my keyboard computer at my rehearsal place. The good new is that, based on the things that you were asking me to look at, I was able to figure it out! I've now got it working the way that I want. I still have a few minor issues to work out, such as editing VST instruments. My band tunes down a half-step, and I wouldn't be able to transpose it at gun point, so I tune the instruments down a 1/2 step. In the past, I used the graphical editor for each instrument to do this. I was able to double-click on the instruments in the instrument bank, which brought up a virtual rack-mount gizmo, in which I was able to do this. That was my most important issue, but I still don't know how to adjust other things that used to be in the graphical interface (e.g., reverb, draw-bars, etc.). In fact, I can't seem to get back to that interface at all! But overall, this was a quantum leap forward for me. Many thanks for your help, and any advice you might have regarding the editing issue.

Jim

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:38 am

No problem, glad you figured it out.

forte supports both per scene (in the setlist and scenes editor) and per instruments transposition if that's what you're looking for.

From the manual
per instrument:
per scene:
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”