Changing presets on plugins

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

maze

Changing presets on plugins

Postby maze » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:07 pm

I have made some changes in my setup and now, using a Novation SL Mk II I can no longer change presets on the VSTs in the rack. I was using an Arturia Keylab to do this prior and had no problems. Isn't this just program change messages? I can't figure it out. i'm not sure if I am not remembering some setting in Forte or something. Novation tech support says that the host has to accept HUI... are they sending this program change information differently? The manual says "Preset navigation will only
work where a plug-in uses the host preset navigation system, rather than it’s own built-in one." So maybe there is something different going on and Forte will not pass the info to the plugin? So I tried setting up presets in the program map in Forte but couldn't get that to work either. Appreciate any help.

evilantal

Re: Changing presets on plugins

Postby evilantal » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:51 am

Using HUI you can only control the "Control Surface" functions of forte (like start/stop, next/previous scene etc), not functions of the plugins themselves.

For that you need to use Automap wrapped versions of the plugins or go the BlueCat Remote+VMI route. Or are you doing that already?
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

maze

Postby maze » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:04 pm

I am indeed using the automapped versions of the plug ins but I just am not able to change presets on them. I opened up MIDI OX and the SL Mk II is definitely sending a program message... and actually MIDI OX routed the Program Change messages back to my bottom keyboard which started changing presets, But nothing happening on the autmapped VSTs. And Forte is not showing any MIDI messages happening when PC is sent (although Forte also does not show MIDI messages happening when CC messages are sent through automap either, so I just don't know whats happening).

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:28 am

That's because Automap doesn't send CC messages through forte.
The communication with the Automapped plugin happens completely outside of the host through a server of sorts. It isn't really MIDI communication at all.
Maybe that's why PC's don't work.

Is it possible to also route one of the SL's regular MIDI ports to the plugin and send the PC's over that port?
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

maze

Postby maze » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:27 pm

Yes,you are absolutely correct. Spoke with Novation in UK... what they call Program Change messages are something very different when in automap mode. I guess it is supposed to work with a DAW, but it definitely does not work with Forte and plugins. The only way to send actual MIDI Program Change messages in automap mode is from the drum pads, and as you say, through the MIDI port.

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:49 pm

Glad you could make it work!

Return to “Forte and EHCo”