OT: USB hub; still an issue?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

Furillo

OT: USB hub; still an issue?

Postby Furillo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:24 am

Back with another OT topic, sorry...

I'm thinking of investing in a 2-in-1 i5/i7 laptop, such as the HP Spectre 360, Lenovo Yoga or Surface Pro 3/4.
The Surface Pro would be my first choice, but it only has one USB port and that's it. I'd need three or more ports.
Over the years I've heard that USB hubs are not recommended when dealing with audio due to drop outs, IRQ issues etc, but I have no personal experience.
Is this still an issue with modern computers and windows 10, or can this be disregarded nowadays?

Thanks for any input!
Hardware: HP Spectre x360 i7 8GB 512GB, 2 x M-Audio Keystation 61, Roland UM-One, Kenton Midi Merge-4, Roland Integra-7, TC-Helicon VoiceLive Rack
Software: Forte 4, EHCo, NI Komplete 9 + some extras, Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2, Keyscape

xpansion

Re: OT: USB hub; still an issue?

Postby xpansion » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:33 am

Furillo,

If you get a Surface Pro 4, you can also get the optional Surface Pro Dock. The Dock connects in a more 'native' fashion with the power/IO port of the surface pro. it has four USB 3.0 A slots on it. I can't verify (since I don't own one), but the OS should see these as native ports rather than ports on the other side of a hub. I'm betting this will get you what you're looking for (and throw in some mini display ports in the process <g>).

X

lancaster6

Re: OT: USB hub; still an issue?

Postby lancaster6 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:56 pm

i'm using a powered usb hub for all my gear (2 controllers, audio interface) using only 1 port on my laptop. have had no problem with it.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”