Renewed Lockups on Close of Forte 4.2.6

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

xpansion

Renewed Lockups on Close of Forte 4.2.6

Postby xpansion » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:24 pm

I've been using Forte since about version 2.1. I can't remember some of my experiences with 2.x, however it was pretty typical with most of the 3.x builds I used that Forte would hang during exit/close/new rack/etc.... You could try to kill it in task manager, but it would just unload the UI without actually killing forte.exe. At that point, rebooting was the only remediation path that worked.

Up until last week, I was using Forte (either 4.1.7 or 4.1.9, I can't remember for sure). With that previous build, those Forte hangs on exit/close/new rack/etc... seemed to have been fixed. Now I WOULD get a couple of other seemingly related error boxes after closing Forte, but I could restart it successfully after closing it without requiring a reboot. With 4.2.6, the hang issue I had seen up until recently appears to have resurfaced. Is there something I could be doing, or is this a bug?

FYI: This is with Forte 4.2.6 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running Forte 4.2.6 64-bit.

thanks,

Xpansion

MikeG

Re: Renewed Lockups on Close of Forte 4.2.6

Postby MikeG » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:33 pm

A hang that causes you to have to restart Windows is almost always a USB-related MIDI or audio driver situation where it was not closed correctly.

A few questions:
1. does this happen reliably on a trivial rack (something that just gets audio running with one common plugin)?
2. does it happen if audio is stopped (Power turned off) prior to exit?
3. What USB devices are you using with Forte?

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

xpansion

Postby xpansion » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:16 pm

xpansion

Postby xpansion » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:05 pm

MikeG,

Unfortunately turning off the audio engine does not prevent Forte from locking up/hanging on exit. Next suggestion?

X

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Thanks. Got it about trival racks :)

However, does it happen if you just create a new simple rack with one new plugin? I'm trying to get to if its related to the plugins or not.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

xpansion

Postby xpansion » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:03 am

Tomorrow, and then when I get back from my trip, I'll be experimenting with some simpler racks (for two different reasons). I have some newer racks that have a significant number of Arturia V Collection V plugins that are having some scene update issues as well as after I added more of them, the rack started having a couple of different issues. I'm going to be playing with compatability file settings for each one I want to use in isolation in order to ferret out a solution for those issues. I suspect each plugin may need a slightly different tweak in the file.....

I'll let you know what the results are.

The primary rack I started having this issue with is rather complex and has a pretty large number of plugins. I can say however that the plugin list hasn't changed in that rack since before upgrading to 4.2.6 and I wasn't really having this problem with the build just prior to that. If it wasn't for the significant stability improvements I've seen in the rack editor between builds, I'd be highly considering 'downgrading' to the previous build. I may still consider that as an option.

X

Return to “Forte and EHCo”