Don't understand one of the "Scene Commands" in "Forte"

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

liveplayer

Don't understand one of the "Scene Commands" in "Forte"

Postby liveplayer » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi there,

I have the simple question of what is the difference between "Auto: Set plugin configuration if it is different from the previous scene" and "Yes: Set plugin configuration when changing to this scene" in the "Scene Commands" in "Forte".

I understand the first one, but I don't understand why it makes sense not to do a comparison between two scenes and set the plugin configuration everytime a scene is changed, like the "Yes: Set plugin configuration when changing to this scene" does.

Can someone explain this? I checked both variants but couldn't find a difference between them ...

Greetings

Liveplayer

MikeG

Re: Don't understand one of the "Scene Commands" in "Forte"

Postby MikeG » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:42 pm

Sure: The "Always" was in Forte from the beginning. "If DIfferent" was added later as an enhancement to boost performance of scene changes. However, in order to avoid any nastly backward issues, I left in Always...and you might want it anyway if for instance you altered the plugin config during a scene and wanted the next scene to reset it. The "if different" compares the data when loading the scene, and doesn't catch changes after that. Also "Always" has the effect of resetting a plugin to a known state instead of risking it not being modified and having been changed.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

liveplayer

Postby liveplayer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks for your answer, MikeG!

I think I understood the explanation, but still I couldn't find a difference.

I mean: in both versions, the plugin-parameters "jump" to what was saved last in a scene. Moreover, if I change another parameter - any parameter - during a scene without saving it, the next time I jump to that scene, the parameter is "resetted" and everything is like I saved it last time. So both versions seem to "reset" the plugin somehow: no changes are kept if they are not saved before on the scene-level.

Were you talking about what I described or do you mean "another" type of reset? I can't see atm what is different. "Always" and "Different" behave the same. Could you give me a concrete example what I can do with a plugin to see to see a difference? It is not a burning-question which will decide about the next gig. It's just for general understanding :-)

Greetings!

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:25 pm

This setting is actually part of the scene save itself, so you would have to update the scene after changing this setting too. I'm describing how Forte behaves based upon the calculated data CRC values in two different scenes. Its also possible that some VST plugins return variable data on each scene capture/update which can fake Forte out and cause it to consider the same sound to be different in two scenes.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

liveplayer

Postby liveplayer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks for your answer! I guess I understand now why there are two different "options".

Greetings!

Return to “Forte and EHCo”