Is disabling unused MDI channels beneficial?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

maze

Is disabling unused MDI channels beneficial?

Postby maze » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:53 pm

I am in the process of re configuring my Forte setup and saw someone post that they had disabled all MIDI channels... and only enabled the specific channels and CC #s they needed. I thought this seemed like a good idea and started doing it in this reconfiguration, But the thought did occur to me just how much an effect this is really having? And then actually I thought that maybe it is talking more processing power to tell all the channels to be disabled than to just have them on with no incoming MIDI messages. Any thoughts? i have no idea of how it works so sorry if stupid question.

I further do a lot of rerouting of CCs... so again I am curious what sort of CPU hit that is causing. I would prefer those changes to be made on the particular controller itself but don't want to be making those additional button pushes onstage and haven't been able to figure out a way to have the controller change presets on its own.. responding to program change message (maybe the Novation automap does something like this but haven't really been able to figure that out defnitively).

evilantal

Re: Is disabling unused MDI channels beneficial?

Postby evilantal » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:14 pm

For me...it's nothing to do with CPU hit, as there isn't any difference in having them enabled or disabled.

It's to do with having a blank canvas for me to start assigning controllers. Making sure that when I have multiple modules responding to the same MIDI channel, only one of them respnds to certain MIDI CC's without affecting the other instruments.
If that's of no concern to you, I don't imagine there being much difference either way.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

maze

Re: Is disabling unused MDI channels beneficial?

Postby maze » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:58 pm

Thanks for reply! And I definitely understand your intent with that. I guess I was just thinking that the less processing going on at any time the better... but I did suspect it was pretty negligible for that sort of processing. Makes me feel a lot better about all the CC re routing i have going on.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”