Forte 4.1.7 Hanging on Close

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

xpansion

Forte 4.1.7 Hanging on Close

Postby xpansion » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:59 am

I recently upgraded from the latest Forte 3.x version to 4.1.7. My standard rack practice has been to roll racks forward with each new weekend of gigs. This essentially means saving the last show's rack as a new rack, removing the previous set list(s) and then rebuilding the set lists from scratch, then resaving. When I upgraded, I imported my previous 3.x rack into 4.x and everything seemed to be fine. Please note that I upgraded to 4.1.7 right after upgrading from NI Komplete 7 to Komplete 10 and my controllers now include a NI Komplete Kontrol S88. I also just bumped my system RAM up from 8 to 24 GB but that shouldn't make a different with 32-bit Forte. I am running Windows 7 Pro 64.

While everything seems to work fine once I have opened Forte and loaded the rack, once I attempt to either close the rack (by creating a new one) or just close Forte, Forte hangs indefinitely. At that point, the only way to fully close Forte is to reboot the computer entirely. Attempting to close from task manager sometimes kills the UI, but the Forte executable stays running in task manager. My environment is as follows. I am currently running 32-bit Forte as I still have a significant number of 32-bit plugins and I have not yet installed and configured jBridge for any of them.

I do have a longer term goal of completely rebuilding my rack from scratch using 64 bit Forte and moving to mainly 64-bit plugins while still using a few 32-bit plugins via jBridge but that is going to take months to complete and I have shows coming up in a week.

thoughts on how I should approach and/or fix my issue with Forte hanging on close?

thanks,

X

lancaster6

Re: Forte 4.1.7 Hanging on Close

Postby lancaster6 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:20 pm

i have had this problem for years and have found no solution. however, you can try closing forte between sets. that works for me. that leads me to believe its something to do with windows idling while forte is open and not in use, but i'm not a programmer and that's just a guess. i also know you are not alone with this problem. i have just grown used to closing after every set.

xpansion

Postby xpansion » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:53 pm

lancaster6,

Thanks for the reply. I might think this was a Windows OS issue, however I did not have this issue with Forte 3.X for the 14 months I was using it. After I get caught up with programming everything for my next show with Forte, I plan on starting a modernization project moving from Forte 32-bit to Forte 64-bit. I'm hoping that maybe by moving to newer plugins and 64-bits might solve the problem. I've been using a large number of free and older plugins and I'm wondering if Forte 4 has moved too far forward to keep up that practice.

I don't expect to have everything ready to go in the 64-bit rack for a couple of months so I probably just have to live with the hangs until then. I guess I'm lucky my system can shut down and fully reboot in about 2 minutes now.

thanks,

X

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:23 pm

are you running any malware software, or windows defender? might want to shut those down.

xpansion

Postby xpansion » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:37 am

I keep my machine off network except when absolutely necessary. I don't run any protection on it like that to save cpu clocks. I've spent alot of time optimizing the OS for real-time audio live performance usage.

All that being said, I'm not sure exactly what I did that caused Forte to start shutting down cleanly. However after removing the freeware Oberheim emulator OBXD from my rack, it cleared up some other problems I'd been having. I've gone through and made small to large changes in each scene I am using in my next live show and BAM, it started shutting down cleanly again. I think the issue was likely related directly to OBXD. Luckily, I also have OP-X Pro, so I'm not doing without any Oberheim emulation.

X

Return to “Forte and EHCo”