Forte crash and process forte.exe stay in taskmanager (access denied), no chance to terminate

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

Bono Best

Forte crash and process forte.exe stay in taskmanager (access denied), no chance to terminate

Postby Bono Best » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi,

if forte crash, a process named forte.exe stay in taskmanager.
Till the process exist, forte can't started again.
There is no chance to to terminate forte.exe over takmanager. I get "Access Denied"...
I tried with tools like pskill and taskkill (sysinternals and Microsoft).
I set errorlevel to "information" but i can't see an crash error.

The only solution is to reboot.
That's not a good solution for live....
Any tipps & tricks?

Wow, what a bugy thing...!
After minutes (10) process terminated....

Mike, i send you tons of crash reports.

Burtan

Re: Forte crash and process forte.exe stay in taskmanager (access denied), no chance to terminate

Postby Burtan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:59 am

I don't get any "access denied" reports, but it's pretty common that you can't close the process after a crash. I think it's due to midi ports not being closed correctly.

evilantal

Re: Forte crash and process forte.exe stay in taskmanager (access denied), no chance to terminate

Postby evilantal » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:55 am

Yes, I agree with Burtan.
I had that problem in the past and it was due to my audio interface not releasing MIDI ports. So, not forte's fault, but the interface. Never had the problem since switching interfaces (EMU 1616M and Steinberg UR22).

IF it's that same problem, turning off the interface and turning it back on again will also release the ports and you should be able to then restart forte without rebooting.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Bono Best

Postby Bono Best » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:00 am

Thanks for your answers...
I have a rme babyface. I will try this after the next crash.

Bono Best

Postby Bono Best » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:38 am

1) Disconnected all Devices
2) Forte crashed
3) still not able to close (stop) forte in Task Manager.

Yesterday i had a gig. Forte does not crash, but it hangs at the first time at start before the show starts.
So i had to reboot my PC.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:28 pm

This is almost certainly related to USB MIDI or audio hardware. Are you able to submit crash reports?
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:01 pm

I do not have a single crash report of Forte 4.1.4.20 or later, so if you have been experiencing crashes, please make sure you are using the latest.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Bono Best

Postby Bono Best » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:20 am

Forte 4.1.4.19 is the latest available build on your download section!

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:00 am

Check the "Latest Beta"
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Bono Best

Postby Bono Best » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:20 am

THX,
I think Betas are ok for testing. I Don't understand Mike. Why should i use beta builds (4.xx.20) for live?

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:08 pm

Don't use betas for live yet - but its a good check to see if your crashes still happen.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

Bono Best

Postby Bono Best » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:00 am

Yes,

But, why should i change to a beta version hours before a gig?
I can't understand why you can't work with tons of crash reports from version 4.xx....19?
:-)

Thanks
Steffen

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Well - I want to get the latest beta changed to "release" mode but it would help if I knew if existing crashes were gone.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

Bono Best

Postby Bono Best » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Same Problem with latest beta.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:47 pm

I am looking into this. How exactly are you making this crash? Unfortunately I don't have the symbols for that build anymore so I'm trying to reproduce this with the latest code.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

Bono Best

Postby Bono Best » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:32 am

Load rack - open rack editor- automation - hit ok....
This happened only with m rack file loading. Also, even I tried it in safe mode without loaded dlls.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”