Request for Windows 10 Experiences with Forte 4.1

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

MikeG

Request for Windows 10 Experiences with Forte 4.1

Postby MikeG » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:36 pm

All,

Please post any good or bad news running Forte 4.1 in Windows 10. My upgrade has gone smoothly and Forte seems to work well.

I'm specifically looking for things that got better or worse with the update to Windows 10.

Thanks,

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Burtan

Re: Request for Windows 10 Experiences with Forte 4.1

Postby Burtan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:26 am

I've already reported a , although I'm not sure if it is related to Forte.
However, everything else seems to be working fine.

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:36 pm

i used windows 10 last weekend, and load times were ridiculous, until i remembered windows defender needs to be off. the problem in windows 10 is, when you reboot, defender turns itself back on! i found a post online that had me add a line to defender's registry, disabling defender, and that seems to have solved it. other than that, no forte 4 issues so far!

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:34 am

Regarding Windows Defender having to be turned off. I searched the archives but could not find any reference to this. I have been using Forte 4 with Win 10 and would like to know more about turning Defender off. Where will I find any info on this please?

Chaotickeys

Postby Chaotickeys » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:48 pm

Been using it for over a week on windows 10. No issues so far on my rack that has over 100 samples being loaded from either omnisphere, play or dimension, and 120 unique scenes all with multiple keyboard splits. Load times seem about the same. I have windows defender on, but it doesn't seem to be effecting anything. Very satisfied with the change thus far.

Edit: I've also seen a small (1-2%) drop in cpu usage. Not a big change but every little bit of extra cpu helps

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:55 pm

bigal,
i used this article and chose the reg edit option. (option 2)
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918 ... -10-a.html
good luck.

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:15 pm

The hint with the current value when changing bus volumes or module volumes does not get updated.

RackedBrain

Postby RackedBrain » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:50 am

Loaded Win10 this weekend after Sunday church gig. Little things, had to reboot a couple of times. Momentary panic with focusrite Saffire 40 --power cycle and it works. Running a 1 hr Rack Stress right now.

Focusrite doesn't acknowledge Win10 support, but it seems to be working fine after a few hours.

Hardware: Homebrew ASUS/AMD, 16GB, 2 SSDs, focusrite saffire 40. Novation SL KB (USB connect), Kurzweil KB, Korg external

Software: Komplete 9, SampleTank, B4II, Aria Gatarrian Orchestra player, HALion Sonic, Albino2. Latest build of Forte 4.1 and EHCo. Bome MIDI (fairly complex splitter/layer/patcher)

Updates as they occur, film at 11

RackedBrain

Postby RackedBrain » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:48 pm

Several successful 1 Hour stress tests with various full up (16 ch) Kontakt 5. Note count set to 120 (max). No dropouts or errors reported with diagnostics.

Added several resource-intensive synths and such. CS-80, Massive, Albino II, FM-7, B4II with patch lists. Started test and tried to add inserts into the bus. Successfully added simple limiter. Tried to add a complex insert and *crash*.

More experimenting later.

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:48 am

I experience this instability with adding, removing and reordering inserts also on Windows 7. I don't think that's a specific Windows 10 problem....
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

RackedBrain

Postby RackedBrain » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:15 am

Summary of stress testing on Win10: Nothing new.

I had a few crashes when adding/re-ordering, but as pointed out, that happens on Win7. With some of the really stressful testing I had problems with Kontakt 5. Also, nothing new for the problem child Kontakt. Often during the stress testing Kontakt would get stuck notes which would continue after the testing completed. Panic button, etc didn't stop them. I had two instances of Kontakt running both with all 16 channels worth of big samples. Both had stuck notes. Overall, the stress test was positive in that there was nothing new in Win10 that wasn't also in Win7, and most likely related to one or two problem VSTs (Kontakt and CS-80). Some other old stuff worked well (i.e. Albino2, SampleTank, Pro-53).

RackedBrain
(Richard)

RackedBrain

Postby RackedBrain » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Here's an update on Windows 10 adventures.

I'd have to say Windows 10 and Forte 4.1 (latest beta) are doing pretty well. However, Focusrite audio interface is another story. I built a computer specific to requirements I understood for Forte, Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40, Novation SL control surface, Bome MIDI, etc. I run Komplete 8, HALion, B4 II, and some dogs and cats, I specifically choose the Focusrite because of the excellent reputation of their Firewire drivers. It turns out that Focusrite does not support Windows 10 or the Nvidia chipset on my MoBo :cry: Actually, I can't find any of the highly-reliable drivers for Firewire that support Windows 10. I had an unrecoverable crash at the church gig and had to go with the old Kurzweil.

Since that worst-case scenario, I've replace the Sapphire with a (like-new, refurbed) ProSonus AudioBox 1818VLS which uses USB 2.0. Unfortunately, there are only one or two USB 3.0 interfaces, and they are prohibitory expensive. At any rate, I decided that, in spite of it being the standard and having the best latency, etc., it was time to bid adieu to Firewire. The ProSonus was close to the Sapphire Pro 40 in capability, and it supports Win 10 and seems to be working well, as is Forte 4.

So, before switching to Win 10, be sure you have driver support.

RackedBrain
(Richard)

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:57 pm

Thank you for the update!
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

busybox

Postby busybox » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi Mike et al,

I'm building up a new gig rig and just installed forte 4.1, for which the release notes say "Windows 10 recommended." I'm curious as to why; does 4.1 take advantage of features in Win10 that aren't present in Win7/8? I would prefer to stay with Win7 (since it's the devil I know), but I'd consider upgrading if there were performance advantages. I'd need to do this soon before I get too far into building up my new rig on Win7.

Cheers,

- Steve

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm

Its OK if you stay with 7. I am saying stuff like this because the support burden is easier if people are on one OS :) We do have customers still using XP, but I can't really support that much longer. I'd cut it off now except it probably needs to coincide with a major Forte release.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

fab

Postby fab » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:40 pm

do you guys have graphic issues, too? i have a lenovo yoga 2 13" (hybrid laptop with touch) and the main rack view window has a lot of unused grey space. VSTs sometimes do not fit in instrument windows. maybe it is a scaling issue, but i cannot go smaller, kontakt is already extremely small...

as a general remark, i think touch functionality is a good starting point but it could be more intuitive and more streamlined. in scene view i keep on touching scenes in the main scene window - but that does nothing. in rack view, some things are just to small to grab easily. and the instrument window has problems properly showing tabs (midi etc.) and does not scroll the vst GUI.

fab

Postby fab » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:41 pm

other than that, forte is very solid an efficient in windows 10

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:07 am

Fab - see what you think of the rack UI scaling feature that will come with 4.2 soon.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

fab

Postby fab » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:57 am

Mike, I am excited to see that! One more problem I have: touch&hold under windows 10 is not recognized as right click in forte 4.

Mr Beverage

Postby Mr Beverage » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:34 am

Hi Mike, I'm running Win 10 - 64 bit with 8 gig of memory and so far I'm loving it!
The only issue I've found so far is sometimes, when I quit Forte, I get a pop-up window that says Forte has stopped running.
It seems to happen after Forte has been running for long time.
This is a very minor issue. (asks me if I want to start in safe mode on the next launch)
Thanks for all your hard work,
Mr. B.

dbrendon

Postby dbrendon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Return to “Forte and EHCo”