How to set recovered .rcf file to xml format?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

bigalminal

How to set recovered .rcf file to xml format?

Postby bigalminal » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:22 am

I had a crash on the drive holding my Forte files (no back up - sorry). I have managed to recover them but they will not load and Forte says "not in XML format". They have the .rcf file extension, so how do I change them to XML format please?

Burtan

Re: How to set recovered .rcf file to xml format?

Postby Burtan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:21 am

I doubt, that Forte will only check the file extension to determine its format, therefore the file is most likely corrupt. You can try to open it with an editor (the default windows one is not great, but you can give it a try). What happens then?

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:37 am

Correct. Forte's RCF files are really XML formatted files. This error means the parser couldn't load it because it is mal-formed. If you can find an XML editor, you can load the file and look at it. Perhaps its obvious what's wrong.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:50 am

Ok, thanks for that. I searched for XML files and found a few. Is it possible to turn these into RCF files?

yamus

Postby yamus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:47 am

Bigalminal, I think what MikeG is saying is that you have to open the .rcf files that you said you found in an XML editor, and see if you can see what's obviously wrong with the file format. The .rcf file is actually an .xml file with a different file extension. You have corruption (or malformation) in the .rcf file. You MIGHT be able to fix the malformation by opening the .rcf file in an xml editor and taking a look.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Ok, I understand what you are saying. But my latest scan using a program call Disc Digger actually found the XML files. They seem to be OK, as I was able to look at the contents in Disc Digger and saw all the plugins listed. They are possibly in good condition - I dont know. So my question remains - is it possible to turn the XML files into .RCF files? Is it just a simple matter of changing the extension, or do I still need to look at them in an XML editor?

Angel

Postby Angel » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi,

Forte uses many xml files for additional configuration data, like:

MIDIAutomationPresets.xml
MyControlSurfaceDefinitions.xml
plugins64.xml - Thats a list of all plug-ins on your system, NO rackl file like .rcf with scenes and sound data
plugins.xml
DeviceCompatibility.xml
FactoryControlSurfaceDefinitions.xml
SampleControlSurfaceDefinitions.xml

Names are quite self-explaining, BUT NONE OF THESE FILES ARE A RACK FILE WITH YOUR SCENE AND SOUND DATA.

What the guys are saying is:
The your-rack-name-whatever.rcf file would also be another file in xml-Syntax, maybe you cloud open THAT *.rcf file in an xml editor, and if you would be familiar with Fortes' xml syntax (anyone other than the developers?) or with xml syntax at all, there could be a very little chance to edit it so it is of some use anymore.

Another chance:
Forte creates backup files of its .rcf files, with the extension .rcf_bk
These can normally be loaded into Forte by File/Open and allowing for this file type in the lower right corner.
The folder for these backups is specified in Options/Program Settings.

Good luck!

PS:
All you read here, make backups. DO IT! Just do it!

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi Angel. I think I'll have to call it quits. I'm not nerdy enough to fully understand what to do. In reality, I'm just a musician trying to understand enough about the technology to make music. I never expected to lose the files as they were stored on an SD card reserved just for data. When formatting, I just happened to select the SD instead of the Flash disc by mistake. It was only a few seconds before I realised, but enough to ruin access to the files. As regards back ups - I was doing it but to the same folder as Forte was saving to. If I had a different folder for the back ups, it would have been on the same SD card and as inaccesibile as all the other files. You usually expect SD cards to be safe as they are isolated from the OS, and generally they are, but it was my dumb mistake that has caused all this heartache. I do have an older file that has 80% of the 200 scenes, so at least I can start with that and build up from there. A sorry lesson learned I guess.

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:10 am

Ouch, that's a hard lesson.....

I save rack, fxp and ini files to a Dropbox shared folder.
So everything I do is immediately updated and backed up in the cloud for download in emergencies.

Also helps me synchronise forte setups over different systems (live rig and desktop DAW).
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

RackedBrain

Postby RackedBrain » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:41 am

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:39 pm

I like that idea of saving to DropBox. I use it extensively but cant find an option with Forte to make DB the back up location. How can I make this happen please?

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:06 pm

I just choose the dropbox folder on my HDD as the location that forte saves it's racks to ;)
You need to install the dropbox desktop application for the folder to appear
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks for that. Its backing up to DropBox just fine. This is the best piece of advice I've had for years.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:49 pm

I just had to reinstall Forte and now the DBox backup wont work. Is the path:
C:\Users\User Name\Dropbox.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”