New user with questions

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

valerium

New user with questions

Postby valerium » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:16 am

Hi. I have been a hardware synth user for many years but age is catching up with me and lugging 80kgs of synths around is getting hard work. So it is possibly time to move to a software solution. I am not a huge fan of using laptops on stage and even less of a fan of Apple products. While everyone else seems to be using Mainstage, I want to buck the trend and use my Windows Laptop with Forte. So a couple of questions:
1) is there a PDF of manual for the latest version?
2) I have seen Mainstage being used and it is very clever. Forte seems to have most of the same functions however it is quite a bit more expensive. EHco makes it even more expensive. So do I need the EHco add on? So I set up my setlist and scenes and want to send them to my USB controllers for the gig. Do I need EHco to do this?

That's it for now.
Best wishes,
Alan

evilantal

Re: New user with questions

Postby evilantal » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:49 am

Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

valerium

Postby valerium » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:14 am

Hi evilantel. Thanks for your reply and that link. I did find that online manual but you cannot print it off except one topic at a time. I want a PDF so that I can print it and read it in the garden, away from the distractions of my PC.

RE EHCo, if I have a setlist created within Forte with all the scenes ready to play my songs live on stage, then I do need to send those programs changes and data to my keyboard controllers. How else could I change the sounds / splits / effects required for each song if Forte did not send the data? So that means I do need EHCo then? Baffled as to what use Forte is on its own if you cannot send the data without an add on??

Angel

Postby Angel » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi Valerium,

Fortes' main use ist to host VST software samplers and synthesizers in a virtual rack. All changes of sounds/splits and so on of these are managed inside Forte. One "scene" contains complex MIDI routings as well as plugin sound settings. Some scenes make up a song, many songs a setlist. And all is stored as a rack.

For example, I use an old Korg Wavestation as masterkeyboard only because I still like its keybed. It's set to MIDI channel 1, no splits or layers, all the time, as all of this is handled in Forte. No audio out of the good ole WS, either. All sounds are produced by VST plugins inside of Forte. NI Kontakt 5, Steinberg HalionSonic and 4Front TruePianos, in my case. With a MIDI prog change from the WS or any masterkeyboard the "scene" within Forte is changed. I'm used to play in a coverband, my rack contains 100+ scenes with heavy splits, layered sounds and so on. In this case, MIDI goes from the external hardware to Forte, only.

EHCO is the way in the other direction, to additionally controll hardware synths, effects, stage lighting and so on, also with Forte. Here, MIDI goes from Forte to external hardware. Thats what you pay as extra functionality which many users don't need.

Try it out. Just do it!

valerium

Postby valerium » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:18 pm

Thank you angel, now I understand. The controller keyboard is simply sending data to Forte to change the scene and all the sounds are coming from the laptop. May I ask in your seyup, what external soundcard / audio interface you use and what latency should I be looking for to produce good results?

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:10 pm

I use a similar setup to Angel. Hardware boards only to send messages to forte with all sounds coming from the laptop.

I use a Steinberg UR22 interface, because it has low latency for the cost and I don't need many audio ins and outs. RME Babyface would be top of the line for this application, I would think.
What latency you set, depends also on what you yourself find comfortable playing at. I use a latency of about 4ms myself.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Angel

Postby Angel » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:08 pm

I use an Echo Indigo DJx with two stereo audio outs, directly pluged into the Express Card slot of my Dell Latitude 4800 laptop. As good as an PCI card in a desktop PC. No USB/Firewire cables to external gear, ultra portable. A shame that these devices are not built anymore and the last drivers were for Win7, at least also for x64. Rock solid, though.

I run it at the lowest possible latency, 32 samples at 44.1kHz, that is roughly 2.5 ms in total. Ultratight feeling. Anything above 64 samples@44.1kHz or 4 to 5ms feels uncomfortable to me. But suc h low latency should be no problem with any pro audio interfaces nowadays.

valerium

Postby valerium » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:41 am

Thank you for you help. I am going to spend some time with the trial version over the next few weeks.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”