"Forte has stopped working" update

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

bigalminal

"Forte has stopped working" update

Postby bigalminal » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:41 pm

I had a great response from Mike on this, and we worked through some issues. However, the problem has just risen again and I'm beginning to suspect Bonjour having read on the net that it can cause some problems with Windows. I'd like to eliminate Bonjour (it's needed so that rtpMIDI can transmit wireless midi from my iPad to my Surface Pro 4) to see if it's the cause, but I need to install a virtual router in its place. Can someone please:
1 Recommend a good virtual router (and 2)
2 Help me configure it please

evilantal

Re: "Forte has stopped working" update

Postby evilantal » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:25 am

I used to use Connectify. That always worked fine for me.

'Been a while, though....before the transition to laptop.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:41 pm

I downloaded the Connectify trial and set up the Surface Pro 4 and iPad Pro and both found each other ok. However, in rtpMIDI where it used to say Bonjour (now uninstalled) it says "Lightweight mDNS". In the directory panel of rtpMIDI, the iPad used to show automatically when Bonjour was installed and I just had to click on connect and it did. Now I have a blank space indicating a lack of connection with the option to add a directory. When I click the + button, I get the following options:
1 "Add remote peer - Name"
2 "Host/port"
This is where I get stuck and cannot progress. Can you help me fill in the blanks numbered 1 and 2 please.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:16 pm

OK, I managed to solve this. Turns out I don't need a virtual router at all, but I figured out that I could just use the Apple Airport Express I take with me to all the gigs. Its a bit soon to say if bypassing Apple Bonjour prevents the dreaded "Forte has stopped working" but Bonjour has received so much bad press on the 'Net when running on Windows. According to some, it just seems to get in the way. Time will tell.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”