Instrument consoles changing with scenes

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

maze

Instrument consoles changing with scenes

Postby maze » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:57 pm

I'm sorry to bring this up again... but I just started using a Novation SL Mk II w/automap and it sure would be so much more amazing if each scene saved the way the consoles are displayed for that scene. It looks like I will need to use a middle-man like Blue Cat Audio's Remote Control instead to make this work simply and elegantly on stage. How cool it would be if the main instrument console I was using for each scene automatically displayed on top and where I want it on screen... this is great just for visual feedback, but of course then automap would also automatically map to to the instrument i wanted.

I know it has been brought up already a few times by me...and others in different ways.... but the only time this was addressed many many years ago, the reply was that it was a great idea and would be easy to do... so that is the only reason it feels a little frustrating and I bring it up again. Is there any possibility of this happening? Or was it found to be more difficult than thought?

evilantal

Re: Instrument consoles changing with scenes

Postby evilantal » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:47 am

Although I don't use AutoMap anymore, this would be great as a visual aid.

A while ago, I worked with user liveplayer to get an implementation of Blue Cat Audio Remote + AutoMap working for his rack. Maybe we/he should share that as a knowledge base article?
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

maze

Postby maze » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:46 pm

Yes, thanks Evilantal.

I definitely would like to know more about using Blue Cat Audio Remote/Forte/Automap... do you remember, or does liveplayer or anyone else know, if BCARC can pass through program change messages as well, so that I can change presets on the plug in? As BCARC has its own presets, which I would like to use, I'm thinking this may be a problem for me.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:50 pm

HI maze,

Is this feature request logged? I see this but is this the same thing? http://feedback.brainspawn.com/forums/6 ... on-automap

I know its frustrating but I have a list of priorities a mile long (e.g. VST3). This wish list is something I do use as input but I don't automatically just implement the highest voted items. I use it as one source of input.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:30 pm

And I was browsing through and saw this: http://feedback.brainspawn.com/forums/6 ... ith-scenes

more to the point?

The big issues I've always had with saving/restoring plugin UIs with scenes is:
1. Plugin UIs open can decrease stability of the app
2. Where to put them? I hate the idea of them just floating over the other windows. Dock somehow? How to allocate space?
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

maze

Postby maze » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Mike, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions about this. And I absolutely understand your concern if it can cause instability in the program. I guess maybe it could be a choice to save that info with the scene or not... and the user could decide if they were willing to sacrifice some stability for the added flexibility and feedback it gives. As for how the windows would be layed out, I thought that it would be up to the user to size and place the guis however they liked and then it would just save with the scene like that. But of course if it creates a great amount of instability no one is going to want that.

That second post you referenced was in fact my post on the feature request board. There have been quite a few other regular posts about this same thing but worded in different ways and contexts. Even though I was not able to find it just now, I know for absolute certain that a year or two prior to my post in Jan 2009, someone else had posted (in regular forum, prior to the separate feature request forum) asking about this and the reply being pretty much exactly...this is a great idea and will be easy to do. I believe that it seemed like there were two of you responding in those days and it was the other person who responded. Anyway, I truly appreciate knowing that in fact there is more to the story, as I always was looking for this in the next update, version.. and feeling sorry for myself :-) It would really help me out onstage a lot, (even before automap became part of the equation) but even just sitting around editing i always thought it would that much more efficient to have the stuff that was part of that scene displayed and ready to go. But this software has always been rock solid and it is much appreciated. And as much of a bummer it may be for me, I at least understand not wanting to take any steps that will create stability issues. Thanks for all your great work Mike.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:18 pm

Its still on the feature request list. I think more generally, getting to grips with the Novation technology is needed. Thanks for the feedback.

One thing....if I saved UI open/position w/ scenes we would end up in a situation where if you wanted to change things you would have to update the scene. Looking for good ideas.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

maze

Postby maze » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:15 pm

ok, well if it is still on wish list... I'm not sure I understand the "one thing...." I think that it is a given that if we want to change anything in the scene, including the possible UIs displayed, the scene would need to be updated and the rack saved. I'm not understanding that to be hardship or problem, but maybe I am missing something?

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi. Maybe it wouldn't be that big a deal but it might mean your scenes all have to be updated if you change your display resolution. This is an example of the ramifications of this. Still thinking through it....
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

liveplayer

Postby liveplayer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:43 pm

Sorry for writing so late. I was moving and was therefore somehow "unavailable".

As evilantal has mentioned he helped me working on a solution for full parameter control on a novation remote device using automap and BCRC. I will write a little article about it as soon as I will find time (next 1 or two weeks). Three weeks before a big concert I will put everything to the "final stage" so that I can report back to you. Hope that this will help some users out there :-)

Greetings

liveplayer

liveplayer

Postby liveplayer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Sorry guys, I can't make it until the end of the next week. Preparing for a concert and having rehearsal at the weekend. But I don't forget the little "how-to" on Remote Control and Automap. I promise :-)

liveplayer

Postby liveplayer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:11 am

Here is the tutorial - posted in the new forum :-)

http://support.brainspawn.com/support/d ... 9000009930

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks for doing that! Very thorough tutorial indeed.

Glad you got things working and hope it helps some future or present forte users
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Return to “Forte and EHCo”