Remote Desktop alternative for use with Forte?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

xpansion

Remote Desktop alternative for use with Forte?

Postby xpansion » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:50 pm

So I've been wanting to move from using a regular 17" 4:3 monitor with Forte live to using a 10 inch touchscreen. A 'good' 10 inch touchscreen monitor runs 250-300 bucks. I've also been looking to offload driving the band lighting rig from my rack mount that runs Forte to another computer. My solution to the second problem (as well as a couple of others) was to buy a small Asus Transformer. It has more than enough horsepower to run the light show along with running the XAir control app for my Behringer XR18 mixer.

I thought, why not try connecting to my rackmount from the transformer over remote desktop (the rack is running Windows 7 Pro). I gave this a try (while setting audio to run on the host machine). Whoila! A touchscreen that is closer to my fingertips than my regular keyboard/mouse/monitor. The only problem I've really run into is that remote desktop running along with Forte is using significantly more CPU (try 30-35% more). I'm wondering if anyone knows of any alternative remote desktop-like software I could use to remotely control Forte on my rackmount from my transformer. It would be ideal if this remote control software was super low CPU utilization AND didn't 'turn off' the main monitor connected to the rack mount.

Any Recommendations? Have any of you tried this?

Thanks, X

ohernie

Re: Remote Desktop alternative for use with Forte?

Postby ohernie » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:06 pm

I used Radmin on my original system back in 2007 on a 333 mhz XP system . I remember there was a CPU hit that caused occasional "blurbles" in Kontakt but it wasn't anything like 30%.

You can get it at www.radmin.com and use it for 30 days for free. You'll want to minimize the screen colors and update frequency. I'd give it a try.

xpansion

Postby xpansion » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:01 pm

So I've downloaded radmin and used it for a show last night. I still had the main monitor active in case I ran into problems. So far, so good. It worked extremely well and there was no noticeable change in overall CPU usage when running with radmin.

thanks!

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:43 am

I used an Asus Transformer as a remote display for my rackmount PC for a long time (before I went laptop)

I used either Spashtop Remote Desktop or iDisplay.

iDisplay has the added advantage of being able to use a wired USB connection instead of an adhoc WiFi network for the connection (on Android). That can be a life saver when you're having trouble setting up a reliable Access Point.

The other thing was that in order to use the rackmount "headless" (ie, with no monitor attached), I had to trick the video card into thinking there was a monitor attached. Otherwise the video card would shut itself off into standby mode and wouldn't send any video signal. Not even over Remote Desktop apps.

To do this you can make a (VGA) dummy plug, like the ones bitcoin miners use, very easily.
See here for instance:
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Furillo

Postby Furillo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:38 am

If you have an iPad available you can try
Hardware: HP Spectre x360 i7 8GB 512GB, 2 x M-Audio Keystation 61, Roland UM-One, Kenton Midi Merge-4, Roland Integra-7, TC-Helicon VoiceLive Rack
Software: Forte 4, EHCo, NI Komplete 9 + some extras, Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2, Keyscape

Return to “Forte and EHCo”