Error Saving Rack File

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

tombo86

Error Saving Rack File

Postby tombo86 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:29 pm

Recently, I have been unable to save a .rcf file overtop itself. I can Save As... with a new filename, but if I try to Save, overwriting the previous version, I get one of the following errors:
1- Saving to default Rack folder: ERROR_UNABLE_TO_REMOVE_REPLACED. The dialog tells me that the file was saved in my backup folder with an extension of rcf_bk, but it is not actually there when I view that folder in Windows Explorer
2- Saving anywhere else - "Error 3"

It seems that this may have started after I upgraded Windows 10 to the anniversary edition. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling forte, but with no luck. I have also tried running forte as an administrator, and giving all users full access to that folder. No other app on my computer has this problem, including trying to write to the default rack folder.

Tom

MikeG

Re: Error Saving Rack File

Postby MikeG » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:24 pm

Sorry you are having trouble. Is this with any rack file or just one?
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

tombo86

Postby tombo86 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:24 am

Any rack file

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:10 pm

I don't know what that could be but its definitely an OS error code. I'll keep researching but I don't think we are doing anything weird here.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Mr Beverage

Postby Mr Beverage » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:49 am

I had that problem last year and discovered that my "Default Save Rack location" and/or "Default Backup Save Rack location" DID NOT EXIST! (Because I forgot to create them when I decided to change their names)
Solution: MAKE SURE THAT THOSE SUB DIRECTORIES EXIST ON YOUR COMPUTER.

Hope this helps!
Mr. B.

Mr Beverage

Postby Mr Beverage » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:55 am

Here's my original post from last year:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5077&p=24805&hilit=save+error#p24805

(Simple problem with a very confusing error message)

Mr. B.

tombo86

Postby tombo86 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks, Mr. B, but the folder is definitely there. I can even try browsing to a different folder, such as the desktop, and saving there. Same thing.

Tom

Mr Beverage

Postby Mr Beverage » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:50 pm

Okay, Just to be clear though, it was the BACKUP file folder that didn't exist on mine that was causing the problems.
Good luck solving this problem.
Mr. B.

tombo86

Postby tombo86 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Thanks. I do have the backup folder there as well, but good suggestion.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:14 pm

OK - here's something to try. Open Program Settings and in the General page (bottom) change Number of backups from 4 to 0. Restart Forte. This should skip the backup file create completely. Please see if that helps.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

tombo86

Postby tombo86 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:26 am

Wow, now I feel stupid. Thanks for the suggestion, Mike, and Mr. B for ultimately identifying the problem. The issue is that I had one letter missing from the path for the backup folder in settings. I just never noticed it, and frankly, didn't think the backup folder was the issue because the error message implied that the problem was with saving the new version, not the backup. Mike - maybe you should just change the error message that pops up when the backup folder cannot be found. Here is what it says now:

Unable to complete save. The original file still exists at <filepath>. The new file is saved as <path to backup folder>\<filename>_1.rcf_bk. Please make sure you have full access to the save directory as Forte could not rename the new file. Error: UNABLE_TO_REMOVE_REPLACED

Thanks guys!
Tom

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:11 am

Thanks Tom - I'll fix this error message.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

Return to “Forte and EHCo”