behringer motor 61 control surface definition

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

lancaster6

behringer motor 61 control surface definition

Postby lancaster6 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:20 pm

so i've just received my behringer motor 61 with motorized faders, and i am anxious to get 2 way control over this thing! the mackie control gives 2 way control in a very limited way. only 8-9 faders and no encoder control on the mackie interface, and no editing. so i tried the bcf 2000 as a control surface, and it works, but with only 1 way communication. i really would like a designated motor 61 control surface definition. if any1 else is planning on using this board, and is proficient at programming which i am not, please please share your file!! maybe Mike has something close that can be modified?
thx,
L

MikeG

Re: behringer motor 61 control surface definition

Postby MikeG » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:30 pm

I think you should be able to use the existing examples delivered with Forte, but without knowledge of what controls you want to do what in Forte its hard to say. I assume its the 9 faders and 8 rotary knobs you want to assign?

Remember there are two ways to do this: 1 is a control surface (and you can use the control surface editor to create a new one...or edit XML manually) or you can simply assign the MIDI Automation in the rack file itself.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:12 pm

having no luck with method 1, i'd like to try method 2.
by "in the rack file itself", do you mean in the rack editor, or a file you access while forte is not open (if so, where do i find this file?)? in rack editor, i see 4 assignable bus volumes , but not an individual module volume. will this method send feedback to the motor61 faders upon scene change?

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:23 pm

ok, after MUCH experimenting, i have the beginnings of a working control surface definition with 2 way communication. here is what i did so that i can remember in the future lol.

this was complicated for me as i am not a programmer, try at your own risk, and back up anything that you have working 1st!!

step 1: i used the forte 4 control surface editor and set up 14 instrument :volume instances. it was confusing because there are 2 midi channel settings and no explanation as to what they are accessing. the 1st i assigned to the channel that the module was using on the instrument (i.e. my m1 in the 1st instrument slot is using midi channel #14) . the 2nd i assigned to #1(my motor 61 master channel is 1). set the cc channel to 7.
step 2: open "my control surface definitions" (users/####/appdata/roaming/brainspawn/forte4/ mycontrolsurfacedefinitions, or something close) with an xml editor. i carefully made a copy of my definition labelled "motor 61, and pasted it below and renamed it motor 61-2.
step 3: you need to add a line that i couldn't recreate without copy/paste. you can get it from programfiles/brainspawn/forte4/factorycontrolsurfacedefinitions. you need to copy the hasoutput="1" from the mackie definition, and include the dot before the h! my keyboard does not have this character so this was my solution.i pasted that into the header line for motor 6-2.
step 4: copy all lines below the top line, and paste them under the last line. then change the 1st word of every pasted line from action to update. line should read something like Update.Action..... and so on.
Step 5: save and exit xml editor. open forte and choose motor 61-2 from controller options. choose motor 61 (midi1, not 2) for in and out.

the only other thing i did , because i had many automated faders attached to most plugins, i removed them. i think since they were already assigned to faders they might have been overriding the controller settings. i could be wrong about that, but if you have trouble try it.

it's been about 2 years trying to figure this out, and i'm pretty dang happy right now lol! thx to mike and evilantal and every1 else who helped along the way.

L

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Do you mind if I make this an article in the knowledge base?
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:44 am

feel free Mike! you might want to check everything though, since it was all trial and error for me. are there any plans to add bidirectional option to the control surface definition editor?
i have made a functional file with a combination of busses and instrument controllers. i'm still trying to figure out if i can somehow create a forte master channel that the busses and instruments feed in to. but that's proving difficult without a master fader.
thx again for the help!

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:20 pm

http://feedback.brainspawn.com/knowledg ... definition

please let me know if any of my editing/formatting made things incorrect.

Thanks,

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

Return to “Forte and EHCo”