Insert (Brickwall Limiter) only works when routed to Stereo-Output

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

liveplayer

Insert (Brickwall Limiter) only works when routed to Stereo-Output

Postby liveplayer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi there,

I recently added a Brickwall Limiter (W1-Limiter) to my Master-Audio-Bus in "Forte". This should prevent signals to be louder than 0 dB and produce the terrible digital "crackling". So far so good.

When the Master-Audio-Bus in "Forte" is routed to an output-pair of my Interface (name of the pair: "Audio Out 1 & Audio Out 2"), it works perfectly. As soon as my Master-Audio-Bus is routed to "Audio Out 1" only, the limiter doesn't work anymore.

Do you have any ideas for this strange behaviour?

evilantal

Re: Insert (Brickwall Limiter) only works when routed to Stereo-Output

Postby evilantal » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:47 am

I think if you do this, only the left audio channel is routed to your Audio1 output.
Probably the left signal alone isn't loud enough to trigger the limiter.

You could try inserting a mono maker plugin before the limiter.
For instance:
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

liveplayer

Re: Insert (Brickwall Limiter) only works when routed to Stereo-Output

Postby liveplayer » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:07 pm

This is indeed an interesting question. Looking at the meters of my Firewire-Interface while sending audio to a stereo-output, I can see that a lot of plugins send stereo-signals (meters of left and right channel differ). Is it really a fact that Forte simply takes only one of the two signals of a stereo signal (either only left or only right)? Isn’t there a merging of the signals to a “mono middle”? Like this, a lot of information – for example in Omnisphere Arps or Pads – would be lost … to be more precise: if one channel is simply omitted, half of the information is not there.

Thanks for your link to the plugin. It really creates a mono-mix of my plugins which are normally stereo. Again, looking at the meters of my interface, I can see the result, with the left and right channel being the same (signal was merged into one mono signal). Unfortunately, this didn’t help. Still, the limiter doesn’t limit the signal if the destination of the audio-bus is a mono-output. When it is a stereo output, nothing clips. Just for the helpers out there I uploaded a picture to see the different routing options. Is there a logical explanation for this?

https://picload.org/view/wwodagp/outputs.jpg.html

Return to “Forte and EHCo”