Why can't I run Forte 4 32 bit alongside Forte 64 bit?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

bigalminal

Why can't I run Forte 4 32 bit alongside Forte 64 bit?

Postby bigalminal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:58 pm

I have spent ages re-setting scenes from Forte 3 to Forte 4 32bit. For very good reasons, I would like to build a new rack using 64 bit Forte 4 and have it run alongside 32 bit. When I install 64 bit, it takes over and I can no longer run my 32bit rack which has some great plugins that will just not run under 64 bit. I have J Bridge but its only partially successful. Is there a work around please so that I can run both versions 32 and 64 side by side?

yamus

Re: Why can't I run Forte 4 32 bit alongside Forte 64 bit?

Postby yamus » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:32 pm

My guess is maybe your shortcuts are pointing to the latest installed directory (x64), but the x86 version is still there. Just use Windows Explorer and navigate manually to c:\program files (x86)\brainspawn, then go into your forte directory and trying running from there. You should have the x86 version. You can then create a shortcut for your desktop or start menu.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi Yamus,
Thanks to your suggestion, I opened the 32bit Forte 4 ok, but to get the rack file into it, I had to use the files>open menu. If I then save that file with a new name and then click on it to open, it boots up the 64 bit version again leaving out half my plugins. I cant seem to set it to automatically open the file in 32 bit as it defaults to 64 bit every time. Any other more convenient work-arounds you can suggest?

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:12 pm

Forte today intentionally enforces a "one instance" policy because so many audio and MIDI devices are single client and the support burden of handling the various complex cases didn't seem to be a priority. If you wish you may "suggest" it on our support page.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

yamus

Postby yamus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:36 pm

Bigalminal, trying to make sure we understand what you're trying to do. It sounds to me like you just want to change the default program that opens when you double click an .rcf file, so that double-clicking opens 32 bit forte rather than 64 bit forte. Is that what you're trying to do? If so, you might try just right clicking on an .rcf file, choose "Open With," then choose "Select Default Program," then navigate to the forte x86 folder and select forte.exe as the default program? Sorry if I'm down a rabbit hole here, or if in fact that doesn't work due to the "one instance" policy MikeG mentioned.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi Yamus,
I tried what you suggested, but it just doesn't work. 64 bit always opens. I have other programs that allow me to run both 32 and 64 together. I'm just trying to upgrade to what should be the most efficient and best performing edition of Forte. I spent many hours carefully crafting my 160 scenes using 11 versions of RealGuitar to perform live with as a singer/guitarist using a Guitar Hero controller. I spent 3 months of the winter last year working on this with Forte 3 32 bit. When Forte 4 arrived, it did not import previous versions very well. So I shelved Forte 4 until just last week deciding to have another go. it's not been worth the hassle as a lot of my previous work is wasted being lost in translation. There doesn't seem to be much advantage in 64 bit over 32 bit, or in Forte 4 over Forte 3, and Forte 4 has that silly small user interface the same as F3 anyway. So I may just go back to F3 32 bit as that worked well for me.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:55 am

The once instance policy only acts when an instance of Forte is already running and you start a new instance. In this case it exits and pops the focus of the existing instance forward.

If no instance of Forte is running, the choice of which it starts when you double click should be the last installed version but as mentioned you should be able to customize it in the WIndows shell.

I'm sorry the migration from 3 to 4 didn't happen as smoothly as possible. There were a number of documented "simplifications" in the rack schema for 4 to make it less unwieldly.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:01 am

I've reproduced this issue and am looking into it.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

Return to “Forte and EHCo”