Forte on Surface Pro 3 display problems

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

bigalminal

Forte on Surface Pro 3 display problems

Postby bigalminal » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:18 pm

I have just upgraded from a Surface Pro 2 to a Surface Pro 3. Due to the SP3's higher resolution (2160x1440), Forte does not display very well at all with edit pages over-lapping and text hard to read. Previously I was able to set the display to a much lower resolution and upscale to 150% and Forte's display got larger and much easier to read. I can't do that on the SP 3 and a variety of trys made no difference at all. The main problem is that Forte's interface is too darned small. Is there anything else I can try please?

MikeG

Re: Forte on Surface Pro 3 display problems

Postby MikeG » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Is it just the rack view that is too small? How is SceneView and Scene Manager?

Perhaps we should do a S3 optimized skin.

What dimensions would you suggest?

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:14 am

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. Scene view is as good as before and brilliant to work with. The problem is the main interface where volumes are balanced and new plugins added. This has turned out smaller than on the Surface Pro 2. Would a new skin fix this problem? The Surface Pro line make very good live vst machines due to their grunt and small footprint, so any steps towards making them more suitable for Forte would be fantastic.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:16 am

Just spotted your dimensions question. Full screen would be good:)

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:00 pm

I don't think I'm going to get to a skin in the near term. Do you want to try your hand at it? Here's an article on it: https://brainspawn.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W9

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:54 am

Well, I had a look at the instructions. Gasp! I'm just an amateur user. Looks like geek stuff me. How are ordinary folk supposed to understand the lingo let alone attempt to make a new skin. Can someone do it for me?

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:04 am

i don't have a surface, but would changing the resolution to a lower one work?

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:11 am

The Surface Pro 3 has a 3 x 2 screen aspect ratio. I tried mucking about with the resolution but it didnt make any difference. With the Surface Pro 2 I previously had, it did make a difference but its screen ration was 16 x 9 so it worked better for some reason. Forte's interface is really small on the SP 3 and is almost too small to read. I don't understand the concept behind skins - how would a new skin make the interface larger? To me, the Surface Pros are ideal for live performance due to their grunt, good battery life and small footprint. As more musicians discover their musical usefulness, it is very important in my opinion to make Forte easier to view and use on one.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:13 am

Skins can affect the display size because they define the bitmaps used for ui elements and forte uses the bitmap sizes to govern ui size.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

Return to “Forte and EHCo”