Trigger midi note phrase/loop

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

dougalex

Trigger midi note phrase/loop

Postby dougalex » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:58 pm

Rather than trigger a sound on a virtual instrument/sampler from "a midi note", I want to trigger a "tempo-synced midi phrase or loop" from "a midi note".

Then the "triggered midi phrase/loop" would play a virtual instrument.

I currently play phrases/loops using a sampler - by recording the phrase/loop as a wave, load it into a sampler, and assign it to a midi note for playback as a phrase or loop.

If I can instead trigger a "midi phrase/loop" with a single midi note, then I can accurately "vari the tempo" and "change keys without affecting the tempo".

Are there plugins that are "midi phrase/loop players".

Any methods to do this in Forte?

Burtan

Re: Trigger midi note phrase/loop

Postby Burtan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:45 pm

I think some people use EnergyXT to do this. I don't own it, thus I can't tell more :-/.

http://www.energy-xt.com/

dougalex

Postby dougalex » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:54 am

EnergyXT is a good suggestion, and not sure if it works being used "itself" as a VST plugin (I will look into it further)

In the meantime, to clarify further, I am looking for a vst plugin that has:
midi phrase/loop creation capability
the phrase/loop can be triggered by a midi note
the vst plugin provides a midi port out (that shows up in Forte midi port options, and thus can used as the midi input for a virtual instrument).

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:56 pm

I do something similar but not sure exactly what you are trying to do when you say MIDI Phrase/Loop - do you mean a MIDI Pattern Sequencer (Programmable Arpeggiator kind of thing)? If so there's a Free (I think) VST called BlueARP which you can read about here: or a slightly more fancy and not free Catanya 2:

This will arpeggiate whatever VST instrument you want - so you can change tempo, key and sound/instrument. Its programmed like a step sequencer but its acts like an arpeggiator i.e. you hold down one note and it will play the "sequence" you want.

Or do you mean Loops (which I just associate with audio)? What I actually do is Audio Phrase Looping which I do by splicing the loop in Recycle (I think there's a freeware version 2.0 somewhere) which creates REX files which, when played in a VST sampler like Kontakt, will read each splice as a beat and therefore when you change the tempo the pitch remains the same and vice versa. Again, this will be triggered by one note.

Hope that's some help.

Oh and... I don't do "this" specifically in energyXT, so can't help there, but I can confirm that there is a VST version of eXT which is used quite extensively by users of Forte (I use it to trigger backing tracks and click tracks along with some other automation.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”