Prevent samples reloading everytime

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

bigalminal

Prevent samples reloading everytime

Postby bigalminal » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Ok, I have asked this before, but with a new update in the wings, thought I'd bring it up again. I have 12 samples loaded into one instance of Forte and I have 100 scenes (named as songs) saved within. Forte insists on reloading the samples every time when I change songs (scenes), when all I want to do is mute one and un-mute another. As a consequence, a new song (or scene) takes 6 to 8 seconds to load. If all the samples are already loaded, why does Forte need to reload them? A simple mute of one along with an un-mute of another would only take a split second surely. Can an option be added in the new update along the lines a tick/untick "Do Not Reload Samples"?

evilantal

Re: Prevent samples reloading everytime

Postby evilantal » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:40 am

In the general options/preferences, in the plugin options, you can add plugins to not change their data during scene changes.
You can add whatever sampler plugin your using (kontakt, halion, etc) to this list and it will remain the same over all scenes, except for MIDI routing of course...
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:08 am

Thank you for replying. In General Options, I saw "Autoload rack when Forte starts". I tried ticked and unticked. but Forte still loaded the samples taking several seconds. Then I saw "Check to load default rack. Uncheck to load last used rack". I tried ticked and unticked and once again, Forte loaded the samples taking several seconds again. Am I looking in the right place? You said - (Quote) "You can add whatever sampler plugin your using (kontakt, halion, etc) to this list" Sorry, but what list are you talking about? On the General Options I didn't see anywhere that I could add plugins to a list. I really want to solve this so please respond and tell me where I am going wrong with your instructions.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:51 am

I found the list - sorry I didn't look hard enough the first time. I loaded my VSTs into the list and it certainly stopped Forte loading samples alright. Unfortunately, it also stopped the VST from changing within the scene eg from guitar picking to guitar strumming. All that changed were the mutes for each VST. Forte would not retain the data changes within each scene. Looks like Forte needs to load samples to be able to add small data changes as well such as pick to strum, picking pattern, FX on/off, FX type etc. Forte was ignoring all these by not loading the sample data., Pity as the scene changes were instant. But not much good without the other data. Looks like I'll have to live with the slow scene change just to get each plugin data loaded as well. Thanks for trying.

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Hmmm... you could load multiple different instances in a kontakt bank and switch between them using program changes.
Or send init values to the instrument upon scene change. You can set those up in the controller list in the instrument modules midi settings.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi and thanks for sticking with me. I got all excited and tried "Do not set plugin configuration when changing to this scene" Well the scene changed instantly because it did not reload the samples. But it still had the guitar picking data from the previous scene when I wanted it to change to a strum. So the only way to get the pick to change to strum is to to use auto on scene change whereby it loads all the samples back in again. As I have 12 instances of the guitar plugin set to various sounds (nylon, electric, steel etc), then all 12 scenes load their samples each time, thus causing the 8 to 10 seconds of delay. I am interested in trying your latest suggestion, namely:
(quote)"send init values to the instrument upon scene change. You can set those up in the controller list in the instrument modules midi settings." Can you give me step by steps for that please? And I am not using Kontact but Real Guitar, so don't have banks. Many thanks for your patience.

bigalminal

Re: Prevent samples reloading everytime (SOLVED!!))

Postby bigalminal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Yes!! It's solved! And the answer was so dumbly simple that I didn't think of it! Here it is. Of the 12 guitar samples that I have Forte loading with each scene, only four are needed at any one time, and that on only 3 or 4 occasions. So I called up the first scene and it uses just one guitar and the other 11 are muted. I went into the sample settings and told each of the 11 muted guitars (under Scene Commands) "No. Do not set plugin configuration when changing to this scene" I then updated that scene and saved it. What Forte was doing was loading every sample as it was set on Auto (for the scene change) when it didn't need to be as the samples were muted. Now my scene changes are down to 1 or 2 seconds dues to this simple mod. I'm stoked that it was so simple to achieve in the end. So you could theoretically have 100 pugins saved in Forte and have 99 muted, so long as the muted 99 are set to "No. Do not set plugin configuration when changing to this scene", then Forte will load the scene in 1 or 2 seconds. In this scenario you would need to remember to set the one unmuted scene to "Auto set plugin configuration if it is different from the previous scene"

dougalex

Re: Prevent samples reloading everytime (SOLVED!!))

Postby dougalex » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:11 pm

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:45 am

Hi and thanks for the input. Can you tell where to look in the manual on the program/bank change. I'm not sure of the advantage of always having to figure things out for myself. Thats why I came here - to get help.

dougalex

Postby dougalex » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:46 am

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 am

also... check out this video

Return to “Forte and EHCo”