What does this error message mean?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

bigalminal

What does this error message mean?

Postby bigalminal » Sat May 17, 2014 9:22 pm

I ran a trim rack on Forte today and I got this message;
"XXX (name of plugin) generated an exception when asked for the size of its data. This rack file may be corrupted if you save"
I just cancelled and the rack saved ok and seems to play ok.The message appears each time I run the trim rack command and since then, several other plugins have given the same error message.
1 Why does this message appear?
2 How do I fix it please?

bigalminal

Re: What does this error message mean?

Postby bigalminal » Mon May 26, 2014 3:47 pm

This forum worries me a bit. No one seems to respond to new users problems. Even the moderator is silent. Many posts go unanswered. What is a forum for if nobody responds to a request for help? Even a referral to a previous post would be helpful. Or a response that indicates the problem is known and a solutions is being worked upon would be encouraging. As it stands, it makes me think twice about posting if I feel that that post may not receive an answer.

sosKeys

Postby sosKeys » Mon May 26, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi bigalminal,
I can't speak for others, but I respond if I have a similar experience. It might be helpful to add details about what plugins you are using as some are *much* more problematic than others. Also, including what version and whether you are running 32 or 64 bit may be useful.
-andy

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Thu May 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi there,

I've only ever seen this error when using Kontakt and to be honest have done just as you did and not had a problem. There are other posts on this - see here for example:

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Fri May 30, 2014 3:36 am

Well thanks guys for the responses. The plugins I am using are MusicLabs Real Guitar, Real Strat and Real Les Paul. I have 10 instances loaded (8 acoustics inc nylon, 12 string, steel pick etc and two electrics). I am using 32bit. The thing is I have already had two goes at building up nearly 70 scenes comprising up to 3 guitars per scene, although most have just one or two guitars. It has taken me many hours to do this. If I have to start again, I might just give up. Is there anyway to export just the data and re import the scenes leaving behind the error message? I dont know - what are we supposed to do about this distressing message? Forte seems to forget to save certain aspects - for instance the whammy bar on the guitar controller seems to revert to pitch up instead of pitch down with monotonous regularity. I am sure this is part of the error message I am getting. If I start to rebuild from scratch a third time, what is to stop this error message re appearing and corrupting the file yet again?

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Fri May 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Re:
"I've only ever seen this error when using Kontakt and to be honest have done just as you did and not had a problem. There are other posts on this - see here for example: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4581"

So I am not the only one with this problem. I would like it addressed. Please Mr Moderator, will you address this problem and give some indication as to why it is occuring and how it can be fixed. I am sure that is affecting my 70 odd scenes causing them to lose aspects and make unauthorised changes that are not wanted. I have spent many hours trying to deal with this. I am about to start my third rebuild and do want corruptions creeping in half way through. Please! Please! Please! I would like an answer.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Ok, I bit the bullet and started to rebuild my rack again for the third time. Each time before I save, I trim the rack and don't save if the error message comes up. I have the original called "Blank" which was basically scene 1 when I started. So I call up "Blank" and re-save as scene 2 with a new name. I'm up to 17 and call up "Blank" again and resave as scene 18 with a new name, and bingo, Forte suddenly decides to fault again as before and all I did was change a name! This is really, really annoying and wasting my time when I should be making music. Mike G, so far you have made no comment. You are the moderator and the creator of the software I presume. Will you please give me some indication how I can fix this problem !!

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi bigalminal - This error message means that a plugin choked and caused a problem when Forte was asking for information about how to save its configuration when capturing a new scene or saving the rack.

Does it really say "XXX (name of plugin)?" or does it indict a specific plugin name?

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:31 am

Yes, it says ""RG Steel Stereo" (RG = Real Guitar) then the rest of the message. I have discovered the data that is being corrupted. It is the whammy bar being changed from pitch down to pitch up. The default is pitch up but I have set it to pitch down. However, when I change from a pick to a strum, the whammy defaults back to pitch up. So I set it back to pitch down then save the scene. Eventually down the track, something happens and Forte pops up the error message and upon checking, I find the whammy bar has faulted to pitch up again.

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:07 pm

The thing about this error is that Forte seems to choose to fault a setting that was fine a few minutes before. For instance, I save scene "A" and no error message appears. Then I edit scene "B" sometime later and then get the fault message referring back to scene "A". Now why does Forte ok a scene then sometime later, fault the same scene for no particular reason? Is this a bug?

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:16 pm

Is this post too hard to respond to?

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:20 pm

No its not hard to respond to, but Forte is simply capturing and sending the binary chunk of data the plugin gives it.

There are some cases though where more advanced VST things happen. You might want to check out this article in the user manual: http://brainspawn.com/documents/forte3h ... es_dev.htm

This controls how Forte collects and emits plugin information. It could be something in the plugin has caused Forte to read or write FXP or or program changes. I'd try the example settings

<Device Name="<subset of your plugin name>">
<saveFXB bool="1"/>
<saveFXP bool="0"/>
<saveProgramNumber bool="0"/>
<saveParams bool="0"/>
</Device>
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

tekhedd

Postby tekhedd » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:47 pm

The example settings fix my problem with Forte and Kontakt 5, so far.. [edit] Nope. I can make the exception go away if I set both FXP and FXB to 0, but of course if I do that it doesn't remember the settings. :)

My options are:

a) ignore the exception and hope that it is harmless and I don't lose my data, or
b) load the Kontakt bank manually
c) [edit] Try the latest forte beta?

tekhedd

Postby tekhedd » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:25 pm

I am now trying 3.2.20.3080 (the beta). Still seeing the same exception on save. UseExceptionHandler=0 does not fix. :(

Not happy.

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:35 pm

As I mentioned above - I too opted for option a) from your list and have not had any issues (the Kontakt bank is saved and loads correctly etc with each scene). Not any help with the error per se but, in my opinion, not an issue!

Return to “Forte and EHCo”