Bomes Translator preset - VERY VERY useful

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

glenny_g

Bomes Translator preset - VERY VERY useful

Postby glenny_g » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:30 am

I wanted to recreate the common hardware feature found on multi-timbral keyboards where you can switch midi receive/local on and off for a sound, for instance to layer strings over a piano. The hardware waits for note off or velocity=0 before turning off midi receive so you don't get hung notes even if you turn the switch off while holding notes.

You can't assign a controller to turn the Enable Midi Notes check box on and off in Forte, so I decided to try doing it in Bomes Midi Translator Pro.

I'm new at this so it took a while and the first attempt worked but wasted polyphony. This one does everything I want.

Feel free to suggest refinements. I only defined a global value for switch=on for tracking purposes. It makes it easy to see if I get offsets wrong in the re-channelling versions of the translator.

Of course you can keep adding translators with the offsets updated for the remaining channels. Running this preset, and with your Forte instruments midi routing set up right, you can have any combination of up to 16 instruments without having to change Scenes, and you'll be seamlessly transitioning from one to another, even holding notes as you switch between different sound combinations. One Scene could easily see you through an entire gig.

So here it is.

UPDATE! This is several lines shorter and doesn't use any Labels. Also previous version allowed sustain pedal to cause hung notes.

Controller is transmitting on Ch1. Switches assigned to CC102, CC103, CC104 etc.

Check for CC message > check if matches the controller switch > set global variable value.
Check for sustain=off message, always send it.
If controller is sending note-on-velocity=0 instead of note off, make it a note off message (saves polyphony) and always send it.
Check for note off message > always send it.
If flag shows switch is off, don't transmit any other message types (i.e. transmits note off and sustain off messages only).
----------
Translator 1
(for control of Ch1)

Incoming Message: pp qq vv

Rules:
if pp==176 then oo=pp+qq
if oo==278 then oo=oo+vv
if oo==278 then ga=1
if oo==405 then ga=2
if oo==240 then oo=oo+vv
if oo==240 then exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
if pp==144 then ww=pp+vv
if ww==pp then pp=pp-16
if pp<144 then exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
if ga==1 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
exit rules, execute Outgoing Action

Outgoing Message: pp qq vv
-----------
Translator 2
(For control of Ch2. Note the offsets from Translator 1. Apply on duplicate Translators for up to 16 channels)

Incoming Message: pp qq vv

Rules:
pp=pp+1
if pp==177 then oo=pp+qq
if oo==280 then oo=oo+vv
if oo==280 then gb=1
if oo==407 then gb=2
if oo==241 then oo=oo+vv
if oo==241 then exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
if pp==145 then ww=pp+vv
if ww==pp then pp=pp-16
if pp<144 then exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
if gb==1 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
exit rules, execute Outgoing Action

Outgoing Message: pp qq vv
----------
Last edited by glenny_g on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

mschnell

Re: Bomes Translator preset - VERY VERY useful

Postby mschnell » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:17 pm

I feel that "Translator" adds exactly those features to Forte that are still lacking to make the system a really versatile VST player.

I wish the companies would work together to create a fine-tuned bundle of the products or even add some hardware to offer an affordable Receptor alternative.

-Michael (OK, I could add some to the wish-list such as full integration of 32 bit VSTs in a 64 Bit system, run everything on Linux, ... :D )

glenny_g

Postby glenny_g » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:07 am

Updated code in post above. Now doesn't reset controllers when switch is off. Much better.

glenny_g

Postby glenny_g » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:15 am

Updated again - more economical and fixed an issue with sustain messages causing hung notes.

tekhedd

Postby tekhedd » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:04 pm

I've been using a gate-style plugin in the effects chain to fake this (moot), but this approach is less wasteful.

RackedBrain

Postby RackedBrain » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:19 pm

I have to say, I haven't had much success with Bomes MT. I not a noob at programming or computers. I've written MIDI programs in C/C++, and have a number of Microsoft and HP certifications. I had a simple idea for a few things for MT to do to complete that last bit of rig perfection. No dice. Listing the problems would be numerous. The best one was some of my MIDI ports came up with Korean-font names. I paid for the MT full version because I had high hopes. I'm just going to assume there is something about my rig that just p*sses Boem off. It's now de-installed.

"You pay your money, you take your chances."

RB
-------------------
A few Kurzweils, Korgs, and Komputers

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:32 am

Sounds like a joke :(

Did you consult their very active user forum ?

-Michael

RackedBrain

Postby RackedBrain » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:36 am

Not at all a joke. I think my frustration level was just too high with it crashing, unpredictable results, etc. I may try again this afternoon with a single Kontakt instance and see if I can get the Korg Nano remapped the way I want it to.

One thing I'd like is to map the Korg Nano solo buttons to program changes. Simple enough, right? We'll see.

RB

RackedBrain

Postby RackedBrain » Tue May 20, 2014 3:34 pm

OK, I've spent several weeks and re-installs on MT. It now works perfectly. I think my original problem was *something* happened during the first install--you know the Korean font issue :oops: .

After that, trial and error to figure out what port to listen to when...

RB

Return to “Forte and EHCo”