Can Forte send midi program change?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

bigalminal

Can Forte send midi program change?

Postby bigalminal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:03 pm

I am using Forte on my Surface Pro 2 with Music Labs Real Guitar for live performance. I want to send a program change message to my iPad which is running a lyrics and chords app called OnSong. OnSong can receive midi program change but I don't know how to set Forte up to send the required program change. First of all, can it be done? And secondly, how do I do it? Can someone help me please as the Forte manual is not very clear.

mschnell

Re: Can Forte send midi program change?

Postby mschnell » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:13 pm

What in fact should make Forte send a program change ?

If it's a scene change, how do you initiate the scene change ? And is it really desirable to send always the same program change for the change to a specific scene ?

-Michael

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:05 pm

[quote]"What in fact should make Forte send a program change?"

I don't know - that's why I asked

[quote]"If it's a scene change, how do you initiate the scene change ? And is it really desirable to send always the same program change for the change to a specific scene?"

Sorry but I'm confused by your answer. I am a new user just trying to sort things out.

Here I go with a new question. How do I set up Forte to receive a scene program change sent from my iPad using a camera connection kit from the application "OnSong" with midi out enabled?

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:29 am

????

You seemingly want your system so send out something.

My question is: as a result of what action by yourself do you want this to happen.

And regarding Forte: what happens within Forte right now when you do this action: How does it know about it and what is is programmed to do at this point.

Re new question: How is the data connection between the PC Forte runs on and the iPad done ? If this is the "camera connection kit" I can't comment, other then ask: "what data is transferred right now over that connection (regarding Forte it's obviously not "Camera" data") .

I suppose your real question for both issues is: "Can the 'camera connection kit' transfer Midi data in either direction". I can't comment on this but it sound rather unlikely.

-Michael

bigalminal

Postby bigalminal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:28 am

Ok, I've had a real break through. I tried the camera connection kit and it didn't work. So I poked around on the internet and stumbled across a free program called rtpMIDI (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html). I followed the instructions for installation on my Win 8 tablet including installing Bonjour first. rtpMIDI is midi over wifi, so I made sure that my iPad and my Surface Pro 2 tablet were set to the same wireless network. In Forte, I enabled "Change scene with MIDI Program Change" and set the port and channel to "any." Then I loaded my first song in OnSong and set midi out to program 1. Lo and behold, Forte changed scenes to exactly the one requested. I was stoked. I usually carry an Apple Airport Express with me to run my Mackie iPad controlled mixer, so I will be able to use rtpMIDI out on a gig. However . . . ., I would like to do it the other way around i.e. Get Forte to change OnSong to the correct song to match the scene. I cant see how to do this, so I come back to my original question "how to set Forte up to send the required program change" so that OnSong can receive the MIDI program change from Forte and go to the correct song. Forte has a much more user friendly interface (SceneView 2) so I would like Forte to control OnSong. Hopefully, I've now explained myself better, so can what I've asked be done please?

dbrendon

Postby dbrendon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:58 pm

I think you need to use Brainspawn's EHCo product to enable Forte to send MIDI. I have never tried EHCo, but that is my understanding.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:39 pm

Yes - EHCo is Forte's Hardware MIDI output module.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”