Forte 2 to 3 upgrade - pros and cons

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

xpansion

Forte 2 to 3 upgrade - pros and cons

Postby xpansion » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi,

I've been using Forte 2 for about 5 years now. I have been considering the upgrade, but have a few questions I'd like to ask first. Quick background: I recently changed from using an older laptop to a newer desktop for my live rig. My new desktop has an AMD FX 6480 cpu, 8 GB ram and Windows 7 PRO x64. On the VSTi side, I am still running alot of 32-bit plugins, most notably NI B4II, NI Pro-53 and Sonic Projects OP-X Pro (plus some other free ones). I also have NI Komplete 7 which has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of most of the instruments included.

Looking at things from a performance and stability standpoint as the primary motivation, what do I really get by upgrading to Forte 3? Some of my plugins could benefit from a 64 bit host and some wouldn't. Is there a significant penalty for wrapping 32 bit plugins with jbridge? Will Forte 3 eat more CPU cycles? I figure even if it does, the multi-core support improvements may provide an offset to the actual clocks being used.

Will I potentially see a change in overall latency (better or worse) by upgrading?

My thought is that I would upgrade to Forte 3 64-bit and use jbridge to wrap the 32 bit instruments and effects I rely on (and likely won't get 64 bit versions). What is the likely outcome of this approach? Are there any significant downsides I should be aware of?

Oh, I also heavily use echo as a bridge back to my physical hardware. Does this change the equation much if at all? Is there a 64 bit version of Echo?

thanks,

xpansion

Return to “Forte and EHCo”