Full MIDI automation (incl. triggers, variables, scripting)

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

pincurek

Full MIDI automation (incl. triggers, variables, scripting)

Postby pincurek » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I haven't been here for a very long time:/
Has anyone tried/tested Soundigy Midi Processor in real/practical environment/case with Forte? ->
I need some complex MIDI programming and processing together with Forte scenes, EHCo is not enough for me :(
Any other solutions? Any plans to extend EHCo?

Cheers,
Pete

mschnell

Re: Full MIDI automation (incl. triggers, variables, scripti

Postby mschnell » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:14 pm

I d/lded the test drive of this one: http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

Seems like a similar concept and looks very promising (It's the same price).

The Translator seems to be able to do just about anything with Midi Data.

I was happy to find that I got an answer to a question in their Forum after only a day or so.

I don't see why either of theses should not work decently with Forte, as they should be just placed in the signal chain between any Midi source and Forte.

I'm going to do some testing with the midi translator during the weekend.

-Michael

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:40 am

I also use Bome's MIDI Translator. It's a great and versatile program.

I also use it to create a layer of safety between USB MIDI controllers and forte. Inside Bome, USB MIDI ports are wired to virtual MIDI cables (loopMIDI), which in turn serve as input for forte. This way, forte won't be bothered by USB cables coming loose or devices not being recognized. It also makes my setup work with any controller that happens to be available without making any alterations in forte. Just connect the new controllers to the virtual cables in Bome.

Another cool feature I've used is to convert keystrokes (from a bluetooth numberpad) to MIDI controllers.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

pincurek

Postby pincurek » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:19 am

thank you for the answers!

Can Bome MIDI Translator work as a VST plugin? Can I run multiple instances of it? Does it change presets (settings) automatically whenever forte scene change event occurs (for each instance separately)?

By the way, there is a lot of free software for patching physical MIDI ports to virtual ports (so called midi patchbay), so why you use paid software? :D

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:33 am

I use the paid Bome for patching just because it's an all-in-one solution, including MIDI transforming. Before that I used MIDI-OX for that task.
One other bonus I've noticed for Bome > MIDI-OX is that you dont have to restart Bome when you plug-in a USB device after the program starts. With MIDI-OX, if you plug in the device after the program has started, you would have to restart MIDI-OX for it to recognize and use the port. Just that bit safer for unattended startup in live situations.

As far as I know it doesn't run as a VST plugin. Regarding the sync with forte scene changes... I think you could get that working using EHCo and a virtual MIDI cable into Bome.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:30 pm

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:44 am

Thinking about all this (especially seeing that pure Midi Filter VSTs are possible but don't make too much sense) ....

The main advantage of the VST format and hence of a VST-host based system such as the great Forte is that the VST format defines as well the MIDI- as the Audio- stream interface (and supposedly some more interfaces, e.g. handling of the GUI, "switching off" the VST, ...).

But from other software (such as Bome Midi Translator, and MidiOx) we learn that routing the Midi stream within a PC is possible by defining "Virtual Midi Ports" (and supposedly this is true with MAC and Linux as well). As this seems to be done decently by a lot of different cheap or free software products, it seems to be rather easy to do.

Now I suppose that it also should be possible to define "Virtual Audio Ports". By this it should be possible to use the stand alone versions of the software products we now use as VST plugins. (Many such Instruments (VSTIs) and audio "filters" (VSTs) are available in both flavors. )

As there are no software products I know that do create "virtual Audio Ports" just for Routing purpose (other than the said Audio Filters themselves, e.g. Native Instruments "Guitar Rig"), this seems to be harder to do decently than working with Midi.

Of course combining stand alone instruments and filters is not exactly as user friendly as using VSTs within a decent host, but should be easy enough to set up by the end user as well.

This said, I could imagine an enhanced or alternate version of Forte that is able to do the much appreciated "Scene" based combined Audio and Midi routing (additionally) via "Virtual Midi and Audio Ports" for stand alone programs instead of VST(i)s. Of course including sending Midi setup information on Scene change, and maybe including Midi Translation similar to what Bome offers.

-Michael

pincurek

Postby pincurek » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:53 am

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:44 am

./.
Last edited by mschnell on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:49 am

So I suppose the major feature difference between Bome and Soundigy is that Bome seemingly can't work as a VST.

I'll take a look at Soundigy Midi Processor solution, as well :D .

Nice for me: They have a German website :D :D

Edited:
even nicer, Bome is a German company :D :D :D :D :D

-Michael

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:51 am

I did take a look at the Soundigy Website.

Their Forum has lots of slots but exactly three posts that were posted nearly a year ago and are just a feature request and supposedly a fake.

This does not sound encouraging at all :(

-Michael

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:59 am

pincurek

Postby pincurek » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:19 am

Return to “Forte and EHCo”