Important: Crash with latest Kontakt 5

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

MikeG

Important: Crash with latest Kontakt 5

Postby MikeG » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Several people have reported Forte crashing with the latest update to Kontakt 5. I to believe NI changed something in Kontakt that causes this and they have been notified. However, In my experiments it seems like disabling Forte's crash handler fixed the problem:

Go to your app data folder and find Forte's OPTIONS.INI file (or from Forte's tools menu view INI folder) - open this file, search for

UseExceptionHandler=1

and change it to

UseExceptionHandler=0

Save, close, and restart Forte. Please let me know if it behaves differently.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Burtan

Re: Important: Crash with latest Kontakt 5

Postby Burtan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:18 am

The gui does not crash in a rack with Kontakt being the only module. However, it still crashes my production rack.

calegher

Postby calegher » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:23 am

Hello,
I tried to follow your instructions but unfortunately the result is the same.
The program crashes anyway.
await answers
Thks

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:07 am

This is related to the K5 GUI. My next idea is to try to figure out if "undocking" the GUI fixes things. Burtan, any way you could create a rack that has K5 and save it with the console in undocked state? Then copy the window position to a copy of your crashing rack? See if that helps?
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:19 pm

----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:58 pm

I think I have a fix for this: Please see the latest BETA build at www.brainspawn.com/go/beta.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:50 am

The fix works for me, great job! Thanks!

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:08 am

Yay - I can upgrade now ;)

Thanks for the patch, Mike and for confirming its working Burtan! (Y)

pchanez

Postby pchanez » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:32 pm

thanks a lot, It is also working for me (64 bits version)
--------------------------------------------------------------
keyboard of dDT (Dream Theater Cover band):
http://www.ddtmusic.ch

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Great news!
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

RackedBrain

Postby RackedBrain » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi Mike,

For some reason, I could not get to the beta area. Reg #, etc. I pulled from a secure file. Is the beta locked?

I'm building a new computer. Kontakt crashed several times today with the VST exception handler and a couple of Forte crashes. I sent in a couple of the Forte crashes and I opened a case with NI. I'd like to try the beta before going further.

R

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:11 am

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:57 pm

I (of course) get the same crash with my just installed NI Kontakt instruments.

I did not yet have a Forte license, as I am still evaluating the hardware and software. Si I understand I can't try the Beta.

As Kontakt in Forte will be the main working mode for me, I do need a solution.

Any news about the issue ?

Thanks,
-Michael

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Well, you could either get a license or wait until the beta moves into the stable tree and get the demo then.

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:36 pm

I take this for "The problem is decently solved and a licensed user will get a working software".

That is exactly what I hoped to hear :D

-Michael

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:02 pm

In fact I just found out that the NI Kontakt "Player" does not seem to allow for instrument banks and thus does not allow for switching loaded sample instrument via program change midi events and thus it is not usable as a stand alone "sample host" for live playing (the very expensive full version of Kontakt seems to be able to do this).

Thus it seems that I need Forte not only when I want to use multiple VSTis (and not just Kontakt samples), but I need it right away to overcome the limitation of the free Kontakt Player.

So I need to verify that Forte in fact does help here. I.E that it works nicely with Kontakt Player 5 and that it can be configured to switch between scenes that each holds a Kontakt player session with a loaded sample instrument with all internal user-settable settings predefined when Forte loads it.

I suppose that I can configure Forte to start when Windows starts and loads the appropriate scenes, so that I can work with the master keyboard via Midi - without a PC-keyboard, mouse and monitor attached.

Another problem is that Forte adds a certain amount of Latency. Right now - using some old USB audio box, I can set the latency to 666 sample: that works nicely with Kontakt 5 stand alone and is decently playable, but produces many dropouts with Kontakt 5 in Forte; or I can set the latency to some 1000 sample, which works without dropouts but is not playable nicely on the keyboard.

As this is a really powerful PC, I assume that the problem is the USB Audio box. I am up do tuy a better one (e.g. NI Audio 6) but unfortunately I can't try out if this really helps.

So I am rather frustrated.

====Edited:=======
I seem to have been able to set up instrument banks with "Kontakt 5 Player". So this issue is relaxed again.

-Michael

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Do we consider this issue closed?
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:11 am

OK for me.
Thanks,
-Michael

brufolo

Postby brufolo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:04 pm

I got the same issue and i need some help.
What's the path to put this code :

<WindowPlacement Flags="128" Length="44" Show="1" MaxPositionX="-1" MaxPositionY="-1" MinPositionX="-1" MinPositionY="-1" NormalPositionBottom="929" NormalPositionLeft="764" NormalPositionRight="1768" NormalPositionTop="287" />

Is the Forte's option.ini?

Thanks in advance....

Bgober

Postby Bgober » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:03 pm

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but the beta link is not working for me.

SkippySonics

Postby SkippySonics » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:11 pm

Sounds like good news, but there is no beta link. If I go to downloads from the main page and click on beta, it just sends me to a sign up for new products offer. I have full license for Forte 4 and Echo so not sure what the problem is. I don't see anywhere to "login" to the site itself.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:27 pm

This beta link is from a long time ago. Forte 4 build 4.0.14.14 is the latest and certainly has whatever fixes that old beta had.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

Return to “Forte and EHCo”