Looking for a driver

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

ChristianRad

Looking for a driver

Postby ChristianRad » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:21 am

Hey folks,

this has not directly to do with Forte but maybe you can help me anyway:
Because in Forte it's not possible to see the levels of the instruments (I don't mean busses) I think about, routing all rackmodules to another application (for example SAC (Software Audio Console)). I want to do the basic level settings in Forte but in a live situation I want to use SAC. I would use two audiointerfaces. One for Forte and one for SAC.
Is there a driver / application, that allows me to send audio on different channels out of Forte into SAC, that outputs the sound on the audiointerface, which is running in SAC? Also I don't want to loose my very good latencys I have with my RME, which I use in Forte.

Thanks,
Chris

Burtan

Re: Looking for a driver

Postby Burtan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Have a look at Dirk's plugin.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4119

ChristianRad

Postby ChristianRad » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:51 pm

hm... sorry?! I don't get it!

His plugins do not do, what I wanted to know.

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:06 am

You want to cross-route audio among different applications, don't you?
Aux-Bus offers this feature, even over different audio-interfaces, afaik!

ChristianRad

Postby ChristianRad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:49 am

I apologize!
You are totally right. Thanks!!! This is hot...
I will try this today ;)

ChristianRad

Postby ChristianRad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:23 am

Hey,

sadly it's not working. I wanted to use the software called SAC, Software Audio Console, to manage my Audio-Inputs and -Outputs. But it's only supporting 32bit plugins. It seems, it's not possible to stream from an 64bit-aux to a 32bit-aux. I also tried with jBridge, running a 32bit-instance in forte and stream it to SAC... but the signal does not come through... :(

//edit: It seems to be a problem with SAC. In EnergyXT it's working... but just 32bit...
Any suggestions for a 64bit DAW, which is not too expensive? ;)

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:33 pm

If you only want a digital mixer, what about a RME audio interface? It has a great built in , which can even be controlled by (Open Sound Control).

ChristianRad

Postby ChristianRad » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:32 pm

But there is no chance, to route audio from Forte to the RME mixer. That's why I need a DAW. By the way it's nice to have the opportunity to do multitrack recording.

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:02 am

You can route audio from Forte to the RME Mixer. And the RME UFX can also record afaik (I only own a Babyface). For any real output you get one software output, which you can freely route to the real outputs.

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:36 am

Not that I've tried it but TotalMix (RME Mixer) should be able to route audio out for recording too. Theoretically you could route the audio from Forte to any of the outputs (Babyface even has 8 ADAT optical outs which can be used - even if they physically don't exist) which appear in TotalMix as "Software Playback" outputs, route each of these to your preferred output (Hardware Output), then in the "Hardware Outputs" use the 'Loopback' feature which reintroduces these as Hardware inputs... You just select the inputs in your recording DAW... :S Not sure if you can select Loopback on multiple Hardware Outputs (never tried it) but should be possible!

Also, as Burtan said already, Reaper is now x64 (I think), pretty cheap (comes with a lot of nifty little goodies like a MIDI Gating Trigger - converts gated audio to a MIDI signal - great for using random materials as percussion and making them trigger other sounds) and while it won't work as a VST within a host e.g. Forte (I've asked them A LOT for this - to which I always get a "No!") the original proposal of using Dirks Auxbus should work fine within reaper

ChristianRad

Postby ChristianRad » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:35 am

Thanks for your comments.

But after thinking a few nights about this idea, in the end it's too complicated for live playing. If something is not working, there are too much places to look for the mistake.
I think, for now I will create busses in subgroups. All pianos, all pads, all leads, etc. and see how that's working.
For all the other signals coming from the outside, I will try Cubase Elements or Reaper. I already downloaded both trial-versions, but I think Cubase is the better software. In the end, both cost nearly the same, if I buy them with EDU discount.

The only thing I have to try is, if the driver is fast enough to process both applications with a low latency. I don't need the low latency in Cubase, but in Forte and it's not possible to choose different buffersizes for different applications. So maybe, recording 8 tracks and playing live with a low latency is not working together.

BTW: My RME has just TotalMix... not FX. I don't know if it's just has no FX or if they are other limitations too.

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:05 am

This may seem like a silly question but just trying to figure out why your are trying to do this routing for live playing. You mentioned recording too you see. You mention about seeing the levels initially (do you mean like a live mixer "view"?) - is this the reason you want to route to SAC (as SAC or Cubase etc provide this type of view)? The reason I ask is another option is perhaps something like Blue Cat's Remote Control - - which provides meters/faders/knobs (all pretty configurable) which respond to MIDI CC etc... This (if I understand what you are looking for) will provide you with a visual representation for your live performance...

It should be noted that there has been a lot of chatter recently (well - a little quiet now) about Forte providing a "mixer" type view - see this thread:

If not then what else is it in SAC that you want to use as to why you need two audio interfaces? Presumably you also want (in addition to seeing(?) "levels") to input and/or generate audio from SAC. Forte can manage audio input too you see and with energyXT you can manage multiple audio files and in host routing - it is 32bit but it does the job for me and I run quite a few backing tracks for some of the acts I work with... I must admit I have looked for 64bit tools like Cubase/Reaper which have VST versions to allow hosting in another application but not with much joy. FL Studio was the only one I found which has a VST version (64bit) but I just don't like FL - another option for you perhaps?

Sorry if I missed the point just trying to understand what (and why) you are looking to do... All the routing talk does sound complex indeed so can completely understand your headache :?

ChristianRad

Postby ChristianRad » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:37 am

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:53 am

Hi again,
actually I think that a modern RME interface with TotalMix FX suits best for you. I'm doing similiar stuff like you, except of frequent live recording.

I group my ouputs into types (piano, lead, pads, bass, fx) and route them to different software channels to TotalMixFX. I can control their parameters with my Nexus 10 via OSC. I also mix my in-ear signal with TotalMix FX, not only for me but also for some band mates, who can route their mix using OSC on their own.

As the new RME interfaces also support multiple applications at once (at least my Babyface does), the loopback functions should work great for live recording, even of your own software playbacks. So I guess something like an RME Fireface UFX should suite best for you, although it is not cheap.

ChristianRad

Postby ChristianRad » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Hey,

thanks for your comment.
Okay, since I'm getting 30% on RME Products, the UFX or even the smaller UCX would be the best shot...
Thanks!

Return to “Forte and EHCo”