Windows Midi and Audio Routing

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

mschnell

Windows Midi and Audio Routing

Postby mschnell » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:47 am

Hi experts,

I installed the Forte 3 testing version and try to test several VSTs in that environment.

On this PC (Windows XP 32 Bit) I have "Band in a Box" and would like to use same as a versatile source for realtime Mid events.

BiaB comes with "Roland Sound Canvas" that after installing provides as well a stand alone program, waiting in the background for Midi events and showing an "VSC Helper icon" in the taskbar, that can be clicked to show the "VSC Panel" which opens an "Edirol virtual Sound Canvas" Window.

I installed ASIO4ALL to allow for VSTs to output sound on the standard PC sound "card2.

Also I installed MidiOX for improved Midi routing.

BiaB outputs as well Midi data as Audio Data. It works well with this setup, using the Roland VSC for it's Midi output via the "MidiYoke" (by MidiOx) virtual Midi busses, and connecting its Audio output to the Windows Sound system in a way I don't understand.

Now I'd like to send the BiaB Midi data to Forte and try to play with Forte and the VST plugins it manages. But I do not seem to be able to do so.

1) If I start Forte before BiaB, BiaB says it can't attach to the sound system to output it's audio data as same is already in use.

2) I don't find way to route the Midi data from BiaB to Fore.

3) (this is discussed here in the "VST plugins" subforum) I can't use the Roland VST with Forte.

Any help ?

DarkKman

Re: Windows Midi and Audio Routing

Postby DarkKman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:59 pm

1) From memory I seem to recall ASIO4ALL has some problems when used in multiple applications (i.e. it won't release correctly when switching applications) - multiple audio interfaces yes, applications hit'n'miss - is there any reason you're using ASIO4ALL and not the ASIO drivers for Roland Sound Canvas? Does the same problem occur? Would it work if you used ASIO4ALL in one host and the ASIO for Roland device in the other?

2) How familiar are you with MIDIOX? It can appear "odd" (counter-intuitive) to use but you may need to use a Virtual MIDI cable (if you intend on using the same MIDI Input device for both) e.g. LoopMIDI (I would highly recommend this if using x64 OS), MIDI-yoke (same developer as MIDI OX but needs additional download and not x64 compatible). Can you describe/provide screenshot of how you have MIDIOX configured (along with the config of each source/destination host)?

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:37 pm

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:11 pm

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:02 am

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks for your hints !

-Michael

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:56 pm

BTW.:
I installed a USB Audio convertor with ASIO driver.

The testing system works _a_lot_ better than wirth ASIO4ALL.

-Michael

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:28 am

ASIO4ALL is fantastic is you your just using your laptop line/headphone out as clearly better latency than WDM driver (also useful to link audio interfaces via one virtual device) but if you have hardware with decent drivers it will probably always be better than ASIO4ALL...

Return to “Forte and EHCo”