Saving a selected keyswitch in a scene?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

Roelli

Saving a selected keyswitch in a scene?

Postby Roelli » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 am

Hello.

Some vst instruments uses Keyswitches... is it possible to save a selected Keyswitch in a scene?

Example:
I would like to change between two scenes.
Scene 1 uses a Kontakt5 Instrument with a non legato guitar sound. (legato is selected by pressing the C4 Key on the keyboard)
Now I would like to switch the GuitarRig Preset, by using the same Kontakt 5 Instrument BUT... now with the Keyswitch (G5 on the keyboard) selected.

The reason is... I already have to change the preset and I don't have enough time to push two keys at the same time. (scene button AND the keyswitch) :|
(It's like sending a note when the Scene is beeing switched)

Thanks a lot,
Roelli.

evilantal

Re: Saving a selected keyswitch in a scene?

Postby evilantal » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:27 pm

Maybe this can be achieved with Ehco.
Can't recall at the moment if it can only send cc's or midi notes as well..
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Most of the keyswitch libraries I have in Kontakt simply turn on FX or a variation which can be manually turned on - this WILL be saved in a scene (so you don't actually use the keyswitch, just the parameter the keyswitch adjusts). Is there a "button" in your Kontakt Instrument that switches on the legato or is it transitory i.e. is only on while you hold down the key (and off when you release)?

I don't use Echo but evilantal's idea may also work, if it doesn't send MIDI Notes, using something like MIDIOX - not sure how you'd configure it but if you are using Echo MIDIOX could convert the message to a note and send back to Forte...

Have you tried holding the keyswitch as you Save/Update the scene then going back? I don't think Forte will store the keyswitch but if the keyswitch IS just turning on a parameter (perhaps one you can't see on the GUI) Forte may well save this with the scene... :S

Roelli

Postby Roelli » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:56 am

Thanksk for your help.

It acually changes the "instrument", as the hole instrument is made out of different instruments/samples.
So I want to change between the "no legato" instrument and "5th-dyad" instrument.

I tried to select different instruments and updated the scene but the instrument will not change.

I want to load the instrument once when the rack is loaded and I don't want to reload the hole instrument again just if I need to change a single thing.
I tried to change the scene plugin configuration, Midi ProgramChanges and Bank Changes - iam pretty sure it will works somehow, but I can't figure out how to do it. :(

Thanks,
Roelli.

rank

Postby rank » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:40 am

Hi,
I'd like to hear a solution to this as well. I don't have much time to experiment right now, but you might look into "Mind Control" from OrangeTree Samples.
This might help. It's an affordable add-on for Kontakt and its key switches/libraries and Greg is very helpful in coming up with solutions and incorporating them into updates for this product.

I need to do the same thing with guitar and horn and string patches. (Mojo Horns, etc).

Please post any results.

Thanks.
Open Labs Neko (modded)
Forte' 3 64bit (v 3.2.12)
Win 7 x64 | 6 Core Processor | 24 Gigs Ram | Presonus Fire Studio snd-crd
NI Komplete 8 | SyntMaster 2 | Tone 2 Saurus | Omnisphere |

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:06 am

The screenshot you posted (which I can't seem to see anymore - probably my office firewall) looked like V-Metal I think. Having a quick look through the manual it looks as though MIDI CC #31 can be used to select the "Instrument";
select instrument via MIDI CC
1: single legato slide
2: hammer-on&pull-off / trill
3: no legato
4: repetition / picking tremolo
5: sampled picking tremolo
6: trill whole
7: trill half
8: minor 3rd-dyad
9: major 3rd-dyad
10: 4th-dyad
11: flat 5th-dyad
12: 5th-dyad
13: sharp 5th-dyad
14: 6th-dyad
15: octave
16: add9
17: sus4
18: power chord
19: other chord
20: maj 3rd vibratro
21: unison bend
22: double Bend
23: natural harm
24: FX1 - scrapes, slides, noises
25: FX2 - whammy bar FX
26: FX3 - whammy bar FX
27: FX4 - whammy bar FX

So what you could do is save the scene with the value you need set in the "Init" parameter of the "Controllers" tab for CC31 (in MIDI Routing -> Port/Channel for the VSTi)? e.g. For scene 1 with Power Chord, set INIT in CC31 to 18, For Scene 2 with Other Chord set INIT to 19 etc...

Will that achieve what you are looking for?

*edit* the manual has a full set of MIDI CC on page 63: so if there are other keyswitches you are looking to change you could do the same for those too I assume...!?
Last edited by DarkKman on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:49 am

Roelli

Postby Roelli » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Return to “Forte and EHCo”