Forte on wine?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

Dewdman42

Forte on wine?

Postby Dewdman42 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Has anyone succeeded in getting Forte to run on wine? Mainly I want to try out the demo on my mac before I decide about building a PC. I tried to load up the Forte Demo with wineskin (and wineasio) on OSX. When I launch Forte it shows the Forte blue welcome banner, then nothing else ever comes up. I haven't been able to figure out why not.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone is successful getting it to run with wine and what you did have to configure in wine or add with winetricks, etc to make it work.

I have used a similar setup to run similar programs, such as reaper, EnergyXT and others, as well as a variety of VST plugins. That is how I used a few windows-only plugins on my mac (jamstix, OPX, Cobalt, etc). Would love to get Forte working, even if unstable, just to try it out a while. But who knows, if its stable enough maybe I won't bother building a PC.

Burtan

Re: Forte on wine?

Postby Burtan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:38 am

Just out of general considerations, I would not trust running an audio application through wine, as drivers and the Forte audio engine are used to be highly optimized for windows (?). For testing the GUI, it should be a valid method, though. Maybe you already have a copy of windows and can try running a virtual machine for that.
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Dewdman42

Postby Dewdman42 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:38 pm

virtualbox, VMware, etc... are not appropriate for running audio applications because of the heavy VM layer they use. You will absolutely not get low latency audio. The only thing you would be able to do is to test out Forte that way to see how the GUI works, but it would be utterly useless for actually using it.

Wine on the other hand is not a VM, its just a set of libraries. So when you can get something to run under wine, it will run at full normal speed. There is not a VM layer. The windows executable is able to run directly on the CPU as is. There is also an ASIO driver caller wineasio, which provides low latency mechanism to get audio out of the wineified program into OSX/linux.

Generally, if a program is working under wine, it works perfectly fine and there is nothing to worry about.

If a program is not working under wine, it usually has something to do with the GUI, but not always. I use Reaper under wine all the time, with a few vst plugins that are not available for OSX, and it works absolutely fine.

There is nothing about audio in particular that is not suitable for wine.

It may be that Forte is doing something with the GUI that is not supported by wine out the box, or they might be doing some other "low level voodoo" which involves using undocumented windows API calls, or some such thing, in which case, it would not work on wine. Unless Forte is requiring special drivers to be installed to be running at the driver level...but I didn't get the feeling its doing that.

well...it doesn't seem to work on wine for me, but other people in the past say they made it work, so that means I probably just need to install a DLL and it will be working. But I can't figure out which one.

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Yes, I was aware that you cannot run real-time audio under VMs.
I did not know much about wineasio, but nice to hear that it works that well.

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:55 am

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:56 pm

The part I've never understood is how to handle the discovery of VST plugins in that kind of bundle architecture. Even if Forte ran on wine, would the plugins?
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:29 pm

It would be nice to take a look at Receptor and try to understand how they do it.

I suppose handling of midi and sound is no problem for maker of VST Host software. Supposedly, ASIO needs to be replaced by the Linux "JACK". Of course support for audio hardware might be a problem. (Both Receptor and V-Machine come with a built-in Audio interface).

File access should be rather easy by forwarding the plugin's calls to Wine.

I understand that a rather easy part is to have the VST host "forward" the instrument's GUI to Wine and have it displayed and workable.

The most problems should be assumed with copy protection schemes. There once was the "V-Machine" Hardware VST PlugIn Player ( http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/de/ ... /v-machine )running on Linux. They never managed to deal with copy protection schemes and the product is discontinued. AFAIK, Receptor works a lot better, but I was told the (e.g.) sample modeling "SWAM" VST plugins ( http://www.samplemodeling.com/ ) don't run in receptor.

Michael

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:19 am

BTW, "VFX", a version of software stuff V-Machine seems to use to run VST's in Linux seems to be available on it'sd own:

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ ... -downloads

It is not available for Linux, but AFAIR, it allows for running Windows VST on Mac.

-Michael

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:26 am

in this thread:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... UX-Drivers

"sleen" states, that, using Wine, he was able to run the Windows version of Reaper in Linux (already 6 years ago), and successfully run Native Instruments VSTs in this configuration.

Reaper is a DAW that can host VSTs.

Thus running Forte in Wine should be possible.

Moreover in the same thread I learned that there are low latency ("Jack") Linux drivers for multiple USB Audio I/O boxes (including NI's devices) and that Wine can do ASIO (suposedly converting ASIO to JACK).

-Michael

Return to “Forte and EHCo”