Forte Switching Scenes Load Times

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

korgndm

Forte Switching Scenes Load Times

Postby korgndm » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:07 am

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the world of playing live with hosts and vsts, so I've come here for some help on how to improve my live performances.

I'm starting to use Brainspawn Forte 3 Producer Edition, loaded with some vsts which I think will do the job for me: Kontakt 5 (with several libraries), Nexus 2.2 and Omnisphere.

I already know how to create different scenes for each type of sound I use (brass for song 1, piano for song 2, etc), but I have a small problem. Since I can't really invest in a decent laptop, I have to use the one I have now, a stock Toshiba C660-189 (Intel® Pentium® processor P6200 2.13 GHz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB 5400RPM), with a M-Audio Fast Track Pro as a MIDI interface. Using this laptop, changing scenes in Forte takes some time, time that I cannot afford to lose, since I need to end one song and start playing another right away. I have no time to grab myself a sip of water. And I'm using pretty heavy sample libraries, like Chris Hein's Horns Compact, EWQLO, Kontakt Library, etc., not to mention Omnisphere...

My question is if there is any way to load all samples from all instruments right from when Forte is launched, so that way when I switch scenes, the sounds are loaded instantly.

There's a lot of people talking about Forte and how much it rocks, but not enough information that I've seen about this little trick...

So, I want Forte to load all my sounds the moment it is launched, and I want to be able to switch them like I do on a hardware workstation.

Cheers!

Burtan

Re: Forte Switching Scenes Load Times

Postby Burtan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 am

korgndm

Postby korgndm » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:16 pm

This method will work if i load kontakt single instruments to an instrument bank. I use multis...
Also how can i do the same think with nexus, omnisphere and others?

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi,

first off: there are 2 ways to do fast load of sample content vstis like kontakt, Omni or the like:

1) Use a SSD for the content: in this mode kontakt is able to load in background, Omni samples usually are loaded in some 100ms. All in all this still leads to load times of a second or more. If this is not sufficient there is:

2) Preload the whole content of a show into your machines. Generally spoken this can be done by using the "Do not set per Scene-Plugin configuration" seeting in the "Scene Commands" of the sample players. Here you have 2 possible options: the one Burtan pointed out with video link (which means you have to arrange all your kontakt plugins in banks) or loading several instances into your samplers / probably loading 2 or 3 instances of a plugin and making them available via different MIDI-channels. Here you can comfortably select the sounds by using the routing functions in forte. This means you`re able to controll more than one sound in a sampler at the same time.

In your case only 2) can be used as you don`t have an ssd available. Here you should know, that your system should comply with some requirements: first off a 64bit OS is necessary. Then you should have some RAM available (4 GBytes are too small for all the stuff you want to have available on stage...). Then you should clearify if all the plugs you want to use are available as 64bit version (Kontakt and Omni are). Otherwise you should also plan to grab jBridge (small and really cheap helper that let`s you integrate 32Bit plugs into 64Bit hosts and vice versa). The aspect for all this is to make the RAM implemented available for your plugins. 32Bit OS gives you a general limitation to about 3 GByte (more RAM would be useless). 32Bit applications can only allocate 2GBytes of RAM. Only 64Bit plugs in 64Bit OS are (nearly) free of RAM limits. jBridge does not solve this but "isolates" each plugin into a separate auxhost so it can grab up to 2GBytes again.

For a first step you should get familiar with this "Do not set per Scene-Plugin configuration" setting (the manual is your friend :wink: ) and do some tests with this (start to place some Kontakt, Omni and Nexus instances and look how they perform). If there are questions left don`t hesitate to post here again.

regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

fab

Postby fab » Thu May 02, 2013 8:56 am

also, with Forte 3, in the scene manager, you can configure kontakt to load new sounds in certain scenes only. it's like the "don't load" option but you can configure certain "sound changer" scenes that take longer to load.

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Thu May 02, 2013 9:34 am

@fab. Exactly, that's what I do as well. Only load plugin updates in th very first scene of each song.

So the scene switching within songs is instantaneous, between songs takes a few seconds at most.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Return to “Forte and EHCo”