How many instances of a fader plugin do you use?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

Dirk Offringa

How many instances of a fader plugin do you use?

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi,

I would like to know how many (if any) instances of a fader plugin like BasicStrip, brainspawn Automated Fader of FreeG you guys use, or would like to use, in your racks.

Thanks
Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Burtan

Re: How many instances of a fader plugin do you use?

Postby Burtan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm currently using AutomatedFader 10 times I think.

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm currently using a max 9 instances of FreeG (recently being replaced with BasicStrip). But this may increase to 11 (depending on a few projects I have lined-up).

dburns

Postby dburns » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:58 am

I use five of yours, Dirk, one on each channel.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA USA

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:19 am

Secondary question: additionally, do you use forte's own bus/instrument level faders? How many of those?

Dirk

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:50 am

I don't use any of them any longer as they tend to 'stutter' a little - however I do have a few racks where I have previously used them just to get a quick balance of layered VSTis. Recent racks I leave all set at 0 and use VST faders with MIDI CC connected to my Axiom (with fader/pot controllers).

dbrendon

Postby dbrendon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:48 am

Hi Dirk,

I also use the BasicStrip on each VST (7 instances) in order to control volume and mute from my Axiom61.

Thank you!!!

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 pm

This is an interesting question. I'm interested to know what's missing in forte that forces people to use channel strips. I know about pan. Is it about automation or fader precision?
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

pchanez

Postby pchanez » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi Mike,

For me the thing missing in the bus volume is a way to keep them out of the scene snaspho (when I need to lower the volume of my rack for a song during a live performance).
--------------------------------------------------------------
keyboard of dDT (Dream Theater Cover band):
http://www.ddtmusic.ch

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:32 am

Mike,

There are many reasons why one would like to use channel strips. To name a few:

1: forte's level controls are fixed post-insert. A channelstrip can be inserted both pre, post, and anywhere else in the chain. This is especially important when using AuxBusses. AuxBus sends are generally POST fader POST EQ for fx, PRE fader for monitor sends. On a professional live mixer this is (should be...) switchable per send or per group of sends. Forte doesn't allow for POST fader sends unless we use a channelstrip (or the AUXBUS integrated features, which are quite complete)
2: pan, mute, phase invertion, mono summing are not available in forte
3: forte's faders are not nice to work with (UI issue), quite imprecise (too small, hard to grab) and the level meters are very approximate. People mostly want a real-world mixer feel with long-throw precision faders and accurate metering with useful ballistics.
4: forte's faders can't get lower than -64dB when controlled by midi (that's a bug, in fact, can/should be corrected)
5: it's easier to automate a VST channel strip than to set up Control Surface definitions.

I'm planning a new fader plugin with a combined mixer-view (all faders/pans/phase/sum controls present in one view like an audio mixer). Let me know if you are planning something similar: it would be a waste of time if I coded this plugin especially for forte, while you are doing the same thing on your side. This has already happened once! PM me in case.

Dirk.

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:22 am

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:51 am

I did use them for a while, one in every module and bus (sums up to about 13), but switched back to using Control Surface Definitions.
Part of that switch was my switch to a 64-bit system and 64-bit forte 3. Dirk's fader didn't exist in a native 64-bit format and I couldn't find a good alternative. FreeG had zipper noise and stability issues as reported here.

I would however be very interested in a solution like Dirk suggests, where all faders are side by side in a mixer view. Provided it would be 64-bit native of course...
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

JulienS

Postby JulienS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:55 am

Mike, Dirk,

If you plan to redesign a fader plugin, please try to include the possibility to have a non linear response to the incoming CCs.

I use two of them as main volume and string background/pads volume, each one controlled by pedal. Today I'm using two midiCurve instances as VMIs to achieve this result, and it adds overhead in scene definitions and possibility some latency. It would be great if a kind of response curve selection (linear, logarithmic, exponential) were selectable directly in the faders.

Thanks,

Julien

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:46 pm

Yes, in my design this will be included, it is was included in a very advanced version of the fader plugin I made called MotionStrip, see the download links I provided here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4119

Dirk

PS Noone uses it but it's realy a nice plugin, that one! You should try it out!

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback on this. I'll consider a better native solution, thought I think there will always be a place for boutique channel strip solutions.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi,

I`m using your faders Dirk, normally one or two on each channel as effect sends plus some as effect return. Additionally faders for panning.

regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

fab

Postby fab » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:43 am

Last edited by fab on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

fab

Postby fab » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:47 am

Return to “Forte and EHCo”