Forte crashes when stopping audio engine

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

JulienS

Forte crashes when stopping audio engine

Postby JulienS » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi,

Under some obscure conditions, Forte crashes when I trigger any function which implies the audio engine to be stopped, temporarily or not (Save, Trim Rack, possibly MIDI Panic if the option is set, and of course Power off). There was a report of this in this thread, quite recently : .

Powering off (and on) the audio engine is not so uncommon even during a gig. It helps to cure some audio problems (see the above mentioned thread). Also I use this when I want to switch between the local sounds of my keyboard and Forte, without unplugging the MIDI cable.

The crash isn't handled by Forte, there i no crash report window. I'm using Forte 64bits version 3.1.57 with a Prodipe Studio 12 USB audio interface, on a HP DM3 notebook.

At first I thought the problem was really related to the audio interface, but it's still there with both Prodipe Asio drivers and Asio4all over the internal audio from the motherboard (IDT audio). Also there by using either ASIO or WDM/KS. I tried to increase the buffers but even with an huge latency the problem persists.

Then I suspected jbrige to be the culprit. I removed all jbriged plugins. No luck.

The rack is in "Single mono or stereo output" mode (I tried both), and "Use all available CPUs" is unchecked too (I tried both too).

Then I removed all plugins one by one, now I have a test case with only two plugins (Kontakt 4 and SampleTank, no effect bus, no effect on the main bus, rack trimmed) and I can reproduce the crash with a minimalist rack file (that's good news).

I noticed that the crash happens only after a couple of specific scenes are called, but only if the previous scenes have been called too. For example, the crash occurs on the "offending" scene 10 (on powering off the audio engine from that scene), but only if scenes 1 to 9 have been activated sequentially before. Jumping directly to scene 10 (and powering off) when the rack is loaded doesn't produce the crash.

The crash happens only by switching scenes and powering off the audio engine. No need to play any note.

I would be really glad to help in solving this problem. When playing abroad I rely at 95% on Forte, and the possibility to make it freeze (even by mistake) with a single function doesn't make me feel so good :)

Thanks,

Julien

Burtan

Re: Forte crashes when stopping audio engine

Postby Burtan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:36 am

This problem is known since some time and is currently adressed by Mike. For me 3.1.58 has improved the stability, although it is not perfect yet.

JulienS

Postby JulienS » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:17 am

Great, thank you.

Julien

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi,

good to hear I`m not the only one observing these problems. I observed similar issues on 2 PCs and had no chance to get rid of them :? . Atm Forte is not usable for me! Good news to hear Mike seems to be on it...

regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:09 pm

This has been an elusive one. Seems to affect only 64 bit.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”