Sequencing and Forte

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

PKHmusic

Sequencing and Forte

Postby PKHmusic » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:45 am

Hi,
I'm considering using Forte for live performance but still need the ability to sequence my VSTs as I can't physically play all the parts.

1: Can I use my Cubase 6 to provide MIDI sequences that play the VSTs setup in Forte on the same PC?

2: Could I use Cubase to provide MIDI sequences that play the VSTs in Forte on a seperate PC?

Another option would be to be able to play a wav file of the backing/sequenced parts while using Forte;

3: Is this possible?

There must be other Forte users out there that use sequencing live. I'd appreciate any tips and advice on how to achieve this.

Thanks

Volker Grosch

Re: Sequencing and Forte

Postby Volker Grosch » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi,

1) possible by using virtual MIDI connections like LoopBe 1 or rtp MIDI. Cubase should not adress audio-drivers used by forte.

2) possible via MIDI-cable

3) possible by using EnergyXT as plugin inside forte. Dirk Offringa is absolutely familiar with this issue. I'd recommend to contact him.

Regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:09 am

Another option (let's say 4) - not quite the same as 3) (which is playback of WAVs/audio) ;)

4) Use energyXT to sequence the MIDI (rather than CuBase) and keep the VSTi's in Forte too.

Its very easy to import MIDI files in eXT - just export them from CuBase and open eXT from within Forte, locate the exported MIDI files in the browser in the left-hand pane and drag and drop them into a Sequencer module. Then just set eXT as VMI (Virtual MIDI Input) and set your VST's to the VMI as Input Channel.

My 2 pennies worth :)

***NOTE*** Its actually fairly easy to step sequence and real-time sequence in eXT also. I only mentioned exporting from CuBase as I am assuming many of your original sequences are already in CuBase.

PKHmusic

Postby PKHmusic » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

I'm not familiar with EnergyXT so I'll have to do some research on that.

I had hoped to use Cubase as the sequencer, controlling the various VSTs that I can't play all at once. (I only have two hands!)
I thought I might've got round it by dis-engaging the audio in Cubase and just using it solely as a MIDI sequencer.
The problem may then be getting the MIDI into Forte from Cubase.

I also thought of using my two laptops, one running Forte, one Cubase, but of course I've only got one elicenser dongle.

Thanks

PKH

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:42 am

Well, if you're set on using sequences in Cubase, Volker Grosch's suggestion for option 1. should work (just remember not to let Cubase grab the audio drivers you want Forte to use).

If I may ask though - why is it you are set on using Cubase in the live set-up? Is it familiarity? The reason I ask is EnergyXT is a VST MIDI Sequencer so it works WITHIN Forte like your Soft-Synths i.e. you just select it as a module in Forte, and you have all the features of Forte to mess around with too (e.g. sync'ing BPM with arpeggiators, LFOs etc etc). And of course all these settings can be saved on a per Scene basis - so instant recall! I'm not sure whether this would work via LoopBe into Cubase (you'd need to load your Scene in Forte, then load the corresponding song in Cubase).

I actually do something very similar in my set-up (play MIDI sequences (as my 2 hands can't play all the things I want either ;) ), play live using VSTi's along with playing audio backing tracks and audio click tracks all routed to different outputs on my sound-card) - I do this using EnergyXT (also a little plugin called SAM!Solo for the clicks) as its a) cheap, b) very low memory/cpu resource (keep an eye on unused audio, c) simple and quick to learn. Its not as pretty as Cubase but for MIDI and basic audio playback its ideal and keeps everything for my live performance controlled within Forte which means for each song (Scene) I can save the entire setup and recall whenever I need.

Not sure if this helps at all but I guess I'm saying that if its just MIDI sequencing you need you can do these with eXT. If you are more comfortable using Cubase to programme your sequences then you can just export them once done and load into eXT/Forte as MIDI files leaving your two hands free :)

Good luck!

PKHmusic

Postby PKHmusic » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:49 am

thankyou again for your advice and suggestions, really appreciated.

I've been using Cubase for over ten years, so it is a familiarity thing more than any thing else.
However, I appreciate that Cubase isn't intended for live use which is why I'm here looking for solutions to a live VST setup.

The option of using Forte and eXT as a vst instrument with the MIDI data sequence and option to play audio files sounds like a good option, especially as everything can be stored as a scene ready to go.
I haven't used either software yet, still in research mode.
I propose to try the trial version of Forte and see what can be achieved using Cubase first and then eXT if not successful.
I wonder what the limitations of the trial version are? Does it time out or just have a cut down feature list?

Regards

PKH

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:28 am

As far as I remember there are no functional/feature limitations with the trial, however there is a one hour time limit. Forte will prompt you to save your project before exiting.

Before finding Forte I was a long term Cubase user too... I still am. I use Cubase for all my recording and mixing projects (MIDI & Audio) and when I take it live I just export what I need into Forte (using Energy XT) - including MIDI files and any audio backing and click tracks the band / singer may need. All with the thanks of the Forte community :)

I'll have a shot at syncing Forte and Cubase tonight and send some pointers but I'd definitely recommend trying the trial of Energy XT too - if you do, remember that you will need to download and install the VST version also

Definitely give Forte (and EnergyXT)a try and if you have any questions just post them on this forum - there are some VERY knowledgeable and helpful people here that will be glad to help.

fab

Postby fab » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 am

i also use eXT in forte and fxpansion geist. however, there are more VSTi sequencers with more and different features and probably more regular/reliable updates and bug fixes:

- FL studio producer edition
- sensomusic usine

Return to “Forte and EHCo”