Tutorial Content

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

MikeG

Tutorial Content

Postby MikeG » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:56 am

I'm thinking of writing a tutorial for Forte. What topics and organization would you suggest?

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

evilantal

Re: Tutorial Content

Postby evilantal » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:54 am

Maybe think of a scenario that get's increasingly complex.
Like a setup with 2 MIDI controllers and 1 hardware rack unit.

You could go something like:
- Setup a rack using 1 bus and 3 or so plugins (use free plugins so the user can replicate the setup exactly at home by downloading those plugins)
- Use 1 MIDI controller to control different plugins in different scenes (also, make the scenes)
- Add an output bus with an effect and route different plugins through it
- Use both controllers and write about port enabling/disabling and layering
- Describe the scene manager and song/setlist structure
- Also use the hardware rack unit with EHCo, triggering PC's on scene change
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Greedo

Postby Greedo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:07 am

Setting up click and back tracks :)

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:10 am

Would this tutorial be a video?
Most challenging will probably the diversity of setups:

- kind of music
- Is Forte just used as a controller for hardware or are VST's used or both?
- Does it any additional work? Like mixing?
- Which midi controllers?

You could try to do a survey first, which setup is used the most.

In my case:

- I use Forte as my only sound source for different bands (which implies heavy use of the scene manager)
- Mixing is done for different sound types (Pianos, Organs/Lead, Orchestral, Bass, FX)
- I'm using two master keyboards, one dedicated midi controller (which I currently do not use very much because I think find it complex to setup things), and one pedal board for expression and switching scenes

mcgoo

Postby mcgoo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:13 pm

As a new user (I just purchased Forte & Echo this morning!) I can tell you that a tutorial would be most welcome!!! I'm converting from using my DAW as a host & I have a pretty complex setup. Every time I figure something out, it gets a little easier, but the getting started part is a pretty daunting task. A tutorial would certainly ease that process.

I'd recommend at least 2 tutorials- 1 basic (1 MIDI controller & just a few VSTi's & 1 advanced tutorial (for someone with multiple vsti's, controllers, external hardware, sustain & expression pedals, etc.).

Now... if you could have that 2nd tutorial done in the next 24 hours, I'd really appreciate it! :lol:

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:58 am

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:18 am

I would like to see something more regarding Control Surface Editor as a topic perhaps?

Also;
What is the best practice sequence for creating scenes, songs and setlists
When you are in a setlist and want to add a scene what is the best practice way to do this? copy your current scene (whatever it is and mute all VSTs etc?)
What questions should you ask yourself when changing scene and how to action this in Forte? e.g. Do you need a sound to hang/remain? Does the preset/programme/sound of a VST need to change or stay the same?

I can probably elaborate/add later...

Great idea though Mike :)

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:57 pm

Just a thought,

another possibility is a video contest (tutorial) showcasing Forte's capabilities by doing a cover people are familiar with or showing one of the users playing with a band and how they set it up, or someone playing say dubstep or trance music live, etc...

Just an idea...

Return to “Forte and EHCo”