Question from a potential new Forte User

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

mcgoo

Question from a potential new Forte User

Postby mcgoo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Greetings-

I've read through the manual for Forte, and I think it'll do what I need, but I thought I'd double check my logic with some experienced users.

I have an aging MIDI controller (M-Audio KS-88 Pro) that I need to replace, and I am considering a Korg SV-1, which, as far as I can tell, is far from being much of a MIDI controller. I use a Laptop live with Sonar as a host with some fairly complex routings / layers / splits / controller assignments. I haven't verified this, but I'm assuming that the SV-1 only transmits on 1 MIDI channel at a time. If that's the case, is it possible that Forte can still allow me to do things like splits & layers, with a CV & sus pedals being assigned to some zones & not others? I like the idea of the SV-1 from a player's standpoint, but if I'd create an environment where controlling the Laptop is severly limited with it, then I'd rethink that strategy. I also use an Axiom 61 & might add a Korg Nano control to make up for a lack of realtime controllers on the SV-1, but I definitely need both keyboards to be able to trigger sounds from the Laptop. Any thoughts / forewarnings would be appreciated.

regards,

greg

Burtan

Re: Question from a potential new Forte User

Postby Burtan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:07 pm

I do not fully understand what you mean but I think it is possible. I recommend to try the demo.

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:58 am

Hi mcgoo and welcome to the forum.

If I read your post correctly, this is what I do all the time. My two MIDI controllers each send out MIDI signals on only one channel and all the routing, including sending to different MIDI channels internally, and all the routing is done in forte.

Sometimes I route channel 1 from controller 1 internally to a layer of channel 1,3,5,6 and route just the sustain pedal from controller 2 to only work on layer 3. Stuff like that's all possible.

But, as Burtan said, the best test to find out if this works in your particular setup is to try a demo...
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

mcgoo

Postby mcgoo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 am

sounds great & ideal for what I need, thanks!

Return to “Forte and EHCo”