forte 64 grey screen lockup.

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

lancaster6

forte 64 grey screen lockup.

Postby lancaster6 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:49 pm

i've been getting these alot ( i'd say 65% of the time) when i exit forte. i have not posted because i'm not sure what is causing this behaviour. this past weekend, forte locked up (wouldn't change songs,never happened before), and i needed to restart forte in the middle of a set. i got the grey screen. when this happens, it takes a loooong time (a couple minutes) for forte to exit out of the grey screen. my guess is that it is dumping ram samples. these samples take almost 10 minutes to load at forte startup in the 64 bit version, which i don't mind. but if i have to dump them, then restart them in the middle of the set, it's very frustrating. anyone else seeing this behaviour?
thx,
L

Burtan

Re: forte 64 grey screen lockup.

Postby Burtan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:28 am

You mean that Forte is actually crashing when exiting? If that is the case it is the midi driver which is the reason for the long exiting.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:13 am

Yes, this is probably a midi driver or some hardware failure. Check your cables (pinched USB cable, loose contacts). Reinstall drivers. Try with another midi interface (if you don't have another, use a virtual midi interface).

Also 10 minutes is huge for loading samples. Check your harddrive's mode (both in Windows and BIOS). Do an integrity check on your drive, check cables.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:19 pm

I have replaced all cables. tried with 2 different midi interfaces. updated all midi drivers. same thing happens every time. the strange thing is, if I close it within the 1st hour or 2 of operation, it doesn't happen. at the end of the night, usually ~ 4.5 hours of operation, it always happens. baffled.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:46 am

How many Gb of samples are you loading and how much RAM do you have? Seriously, 10 minutes loading seems way too long to me.

Dirk

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:30 pm

b4 starting forte, i'm using 1.2/8.0 Gigs of memory. after starting forte, it increases to 4.2 gigs, then settles @ 3.7 gigs(46%). 3.7 - 1.2 is 2.5 gigs. is that excessive? are there ways to trim that back? should I trim them back? I noticed the disk activity light stays solid (100%) for another 10 minutes while forte finishes loading. I am able to play after the initial 10 minutes are up and the "rack load issues" screen goes away(shows 4 vsti's that have been diverted to jbridged versions). this is using a presonus firestudio mobile with only 1 set of outputs. live I use a presonus firestudio projuct with 8 outs of which i'm using 3 pair. I will run this test again tomorrow with the full rig and see if results are different.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:53 am

You should try to use ProcMon to monitor file access. That'll show what exactly is going on during those disk accesses. I once posted a filter file on the forums, look that up! It's weird indeed.

Dirk

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:59 am

----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 am

Here's my post on using ProcMon as a file access tracker:

Dirk

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:05 am

b4 trying dirk's solution (procmon test, which I'm not sure I would know how to interpret), I decided to exclude some plugins from my rack, save it, restart laptop, restart forte. as far as the long load time, the culprit is the "evo strawberry elec gtr" plugin. when removed from the rack it starts right up. that plugin needs kontakt 4 as a host, so i'm not sure which is slowing the process. with newer versions of forte beta(or maybe win8 which I have upgraded to), the grey screen lockup has stopped, but it still doesn't close without a "forte has stopped working" msg. but at least i'm not waiting 10 minutes to shut the laptop down. next gig I will use a rack without the evo gtr plugin and report the results here. (this behavior on closing forte only happens after hours of operation).

mcgoo

Postby mcgoo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:58 am

Is this an older instrument that you used before Kontakt vr4? If so, you may need to resave it in Kontakt 4, which will significantly speed up its load time.

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:26 pm

no, it was released less than a year ago. I had originally installed it for use under the free kontakt 5 player, just to find out that it doesn't work without the full paid version. so I think(this was a long time ago) that I used copy/replace to add kontakt 4(full version) and installed it there. now, I cannot remember if I ever saved it, so I will do that tonight and check results. I hope it will be that simple! thx for the tip mcgoo.

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:43 pm

saving that patch takes as long as loading that patch. it must be the design of the EEG strawberry. if I want to use it, and I do, I will just have to endure the loading time. I have sent them an email about this, but who knows if they will redesign it on my account.

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:26 pm

i'm only revisiting this post to update the cure for my problem. upon reading a recent post about kontakt 5, and excluding it in preferences (evilantal:exclude Kontakt from changing sounds with scene changes), my exiting problems have gone away....finally! forte 3 was working fine, and my scene changes were not taking more than a second to load. but, when i would exit out of forte, 95% of the time i would get a "forte has stopped working..." error message, and then it would be minutes b4 i could shut down the laptop. i just put up with it. with kontakt on the list, this problem is solved! not to mention scene changes are now instantaneous. sry if this had already been solved, but i hadn't seen the solution.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”