Some important features Forte is lacking

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

joccamswe

Some important features Forte is lacking

Postby joccamswe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:57 am

Somethings Forte could really use, from my usage perspective.

This is for using in a situation...
[*] where you have many different scenes, easily 50+, so you want to see instantly and at a glance what is playing, where it is playing and with what sound.
[*] where you sometimes have to edit splits, zones, layers quickly at rehesals...all while the other musicians are waiting for you.

Individual instrument preset-names viewable without having to click on each of them (Default screen)
When you get to 15+ instruments, a point you easily reach in "pro" setup situations, you loose track of if it's softsynth #1 or softhsynth #7 or softsynth #1+#3+#9 that is used for that stab sound sounding from your second keyboard, in scene #35. I know you can see the midi-activity button and the muted instruments to track activity ofc, but this is not enough to get a good clear overview. I'd like for example:
[*] A LED-indicator (as for audio buses) indicating volume for unmuted instruments
[*] The current preset of every unmuted instrument shown somewhere in the instrument-name section. This is so I know where to click if I want to edit specific parts without first browsing through alot of instruments looking for the right one.

Layering/Zoning
Look at the zone/split/layer overview in for example Mainstage and Kore 1/2. Both of these have much better overview and handling of the keyboard ranges.
This is what you currently have to do in Forte when you for example setup part of a scene using 3 instruments that are to sound when playing top octave of your second keyboard...for each of the instruments:
[*] click and open the individual instruments plugin window,
[*] navigating to MIDI routing
[*] navigate to the right MIDI channel and interface
[*] finally adjust the keyboard range
...and as said...then repeat for each instrument being used.
This is too much clicking. Forte could really use better handling for this. I don't have a solution for you sadly, just stating what is for me really lacking in the otherwise excellent program.
Last edited by joccamswe on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burtan

Re: Some important features Forte is lacking

Postby Burtan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:43 am

Afaik, Mike is planning a new UI for Forte 4 ;-). Otherwise, I'm happy that Mike puts stability over fancy graphics.

http://www.brainspawn.com/wiki/index.ph ... spawn_Labs

joccamswe

Postby joccamswe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:12 am

Last edited by joccamswe on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

joccamswe

Postby joccamswe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:55 am

"http://www.brainspawn.com/wiki/index.php?title=Brainspawn_Labs"

I actually didn't see your link first there. Reading it I see there is great promise for the future ;)

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks for the input. There's too much here to grok in one short sitting. I'll make a note of this post for future reference.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Spherical

Postby Spherical » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Just picking up an old thread...I've only just moved onto Forte, so slowly working my way through the old posts!

I've hit upon the same thing as joccamswe - the rack is great, but some things are hidden that we could really do with seeing. The thing that got me thinking about this is that in my rack I have three instances of VB3, and for the particular song I'm working on I use all three with different organ sounds. The problem is that when I open the VB3 GUI, it doesn't show the name of the currently loaded patch, just a bunch of drawbars/switches etc. So I very quickly forgot which of my three instances of VB3 have which patch loaded. At home this is a bit of a nuisance, but as joccamswe says, in a time-pressured rehearsal with pro musicians standing waiting for you, it's extremely annoying / embarrassing.

One simple solution would be for each rack plugin to have an editable text field that's shown at the top level (perhaps between the plugin name and the effects / bus assignments), which is saved for each scene. So for a given scene I can assign "Hard full stops organ" to one VB3 instance, "Smooth lead organ" to another, and so on, and they'll change to something else for the next scene. You could also for example use something like "Verse pad" or other song-related naming. It's a feature I use a lot on the Receptor, and miss dearly in Forte. I would hope this would be fairly straightforward to achieve without the need to restructure Forte's data model.

An extension of this would be an indication of what MIDI channel(s) a plugin is receiving on. So for example if I have my mappings set so that channel 5 goes to plugin channel 1, and channel 8 goes to plugin channel 2, it could show something like [5 8], again, at the top level somewhere on the rack plugin "row". I'd find that really useful, so then at a glance, without clicking anything, I'd know that plugin is running on those channels. Again, an idea borrowed from the Receptor that I'm finding I really miss.

In lieu of this, how is everybody remembering what patches they have assigned on each plugin when they're setting complex stuff up? Keen to hear any tips etc!

Spherical

PS: Still "evaluating" Forte, as a replacement for my Receptors, alongside Cantabile, MainStage etc. I really want Forte to be the one!

snowbird122

Postby snowbird122 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:12 am

I'd also love to have an editable text field for each instrument in the rack that I could use to describe that sound and could be saved with the scene snapshot. For now, I just have to try to remember.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”