Trigger backtracks in Forte3

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

Furillo

Trigger backtracks in Forte3

Postby Furillo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:51 am

Hi!

With my M-Audio C400 (6 outputs; 4 analog + 2 digital) I want to run my VSTi's (outputs 1 & 2) together with stereo backtracks (outputs 3 & 4) and one mono click track (output 5). Backtracks and click would be wav files.
For this I thought I could use EnergyXT inside Forte, but a recent thread lead me to believe this won't work (although I may have misunderstood the whole thread...)
Could anyone give me some pointers how to achieve this? How do you work with backtracks?

Edit: this is all still on a theoretical level. I don't own Forte3 (yet), nor EnergyXT, so any ideas how to work with backtracks in general are welcome.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Mattias
Hardware: HP Spectre x360 i7 8GB 512GB, 2 x M-Audio Keystation 61, Roland UM-One, Kenton Midi Merge-4, Roland Integra-7, TC-Helicon VoiceLive Rack
Software: Forte 4, EHCo, NI Komplete 9 + some extras, Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2, Keyscape

Dirk Offringa

Re: Trigger backtracks in Forte3

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:19 am

This is perfectly possible, I do this all day. eXT hosting backingtracks, and a midi click track I route to a simple sample player in another forte module. I heve several backing tracks running in sample accurate sync in one instance of eXT, but I also have an instance of eXT in all my audio input tracks (total 8 sources) where the original source is recorded so that I can do viretual soundchecks. All these instances run in good sync.

The thread you mention discussed a way of using multiple outputs of eXT in forte.
Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

piert

Postby piert » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:59 pm

I may have drunk too many beers, but I can't understand your last post, Dirk.

Are you saying you are recording your performance live and are using it as a backing track, so you can do a soundcheck yourself???

If you can provide some more explanation I would be grateful.
Thanks,
Perry

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:48 am

"Virtual soundcheck" is a concept incorporated in some high-end live- FOH desks. It consist of recording the live performance of each source, right at the entry point, into the desk. This way, the soundengineer can proceed to a soundcheck even when the artists are not yet present. This is a huge time saver, and I do exactly that in forte using eXT as a recorder module. One instance in each module, right before any audio processing.

Dirk

PS this can only be done in low latency (mine is 64 samples) if you have a fast SSD to record/playback on. Any conventional hard drive wil choke.

piert

Postby piert » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:46 am

I am still confused.

Scenario:

I assume you have several band members when you have 8 audio inputs.
You arrive at a new venue and set up all the stuff.
Then all bandmembers plugin and play several songs in such a way that all instruments that will be needed that night get a chance to be recorded by your 'capture plugin'.
You then all stop playing and you sit yourself in the sound engineering position in front of the stage and play back all the recordings through your fort set-up and through the main speakers at the venue.
You listen and make adjustments based on what you hear (while the other band members start drinking beer... :lol: ).

Is the above the right 'picture'?
Another question is: why do you tap into the audio signal before audio processing? After all, the processed audio will be what the people will be listening to?

Sorry to keep asking, but I find this hugely interesting, as we always been somewhat struggling in the sound engineering department at gigs (low budget without separate sound engineer). It is always difficult that one band member has to leave the soundcheck to listen in front of the stage.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:36 am

Not exactly. Every performance has been recorded during rehearsals. This means that we can 1: do soundchecks before everyone arrives 2: do soundchecks while some bandmembers are busy setting up lights 3: I can actually do the soundcheck having my own guitar parts and vocals being part of the mix 4: rehearse if someone isn't there (no need to have the singer drive 100km just do do some ooooh's and aaaaah's).

The tracks are inserted at the very beginning, where the sound arrives. Of course they are. The processing is what's going to be adjusted!!

FYI, when I do the soundcheck, I use a laptop on a private WiFi network using RDP to control the main PC which is racked on stage. The rig has a mobile router/access point built in, the main PC is connected to the router with an ethernet connection, the laptop via WiFi. I could even do this with my smartphone but it's a bit of a drag given the tiny screen.

Dirk
PS, sorry, none of us drinks beer.... we're not being payed to drink at the job!!

piert

Postby piert » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:40 am

That is supercool!
Thank you very much for you patience in explaining.

Best regards,
Perry

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:38 am

You're welcome.

Dirk

PnoMn

Postby PnoMn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 am

hi dirk,

is it possible to run the setup as you describe it in forte 3 64bit?
i'm about to switch my setup to 64bit now, as projects are getting bigger.
currently i'm running metronom- and backingtracks in kontakt.

best
steffen

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:23 am

AFAIK there's no native 64bit build of eXT available, so in a native 64bit forte install it should be bridged using jBridge. Should work, although I'd recommend some serious testing for stability.

Cheers
Dirk

PnoMn

Postby PnoMn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:17 am

hi dirk,

thank you for your fast reply.
i was using jbridge in forte 2, but it caused some problems so i quit using it.
looks like i will have to use kontakt as a provider for backingtracks and metronome...

however, i love using forte on stage! it is so much more versatile than using keyboards.
thank you very much for that!!

all the best
steffen

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:35 am

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:06 am

Return to “Forte and EHCo”