Newbie needs help with .INS file and eCHo

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

rank

Newbie needs help with .INS file and eCHo

Postby rank » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:32 am

I'm obviously a newbie at all of this. (I've used the DMXIS setup live going through Cubase and works well BTW---killer on-stage programmable light show). Still trying to get the ultimate stable rack set up with Forte 2 and/or 3.

I need help with INS files and ECHO. The manual is pretty vague on the steps required to get this going (for someone that doesn't know what the heck they are doing, that is)
What exactly do I need to do to do this with ECHO in my rack:

I want to be able to control 2 hardware devices (Have a scene control a TC Helicon VoiceLive Rack --- change programs when I change to a different scene.)

I guess I need specific step-by-step because I am just not getting it. I read the manual below:

"EHCo acts as a “proxy” for your external MIDI hardware by reading INS
files containing bank names, patch names, and controller names. This allows
you to select patches on your MIDI device using friendly bank and
patch names within EHCo. To import patch names, click the open button
on the Device combo box and select “Import Patch Names…”. Browse to
the desired .INS file and click OK.
Once loaded, the device’s patch names appear in the FORTE preset manager
and scene commands sections. Controller..........."

How do I set up the .INS file for the TC-H VoiceLive Rack, where do I get it?
Do I just get a random .INS file?

obviously, I'm not following this at all.

Help appreciated.

P.S.
I just found this: can I use this and modify one of the instruments to fit the TC-H VLRack ??
INS MAKER MIDI UTILITY

INS Maker queries MIDI instruments and creates custom Cakewalk/Sonar .ins (instrument definition) files. INS Maker currently is designed to support the following instruments:

* Access Virus, Virus Rack, and Indigo
* Ensoniq MR-Rack, MR-61, MR-76 and ZR-76
* Korg TRITON, pro, proX, Rack, Studio and KARMA
* Kurzweil K2000, K2500 and K2600
* Novation Nova, Nova Laptop, Nova II, Supernova, Supernova II
* Roland JP-8000 and JP-8080

As each manufacturer and instrument uses different sysex (system exclusive) message formats, I do not support any other instruments. However, I have released the INS Maker source code under GPL, so other programmers may be able to adapt the source code.

INS Maker does not generate instrument definitions for softsynths (software synthesizers).

INS Maker creates the following sections of an instrument definition file:

* Patch Names
* Note Names (drum maps)
* Instrument Definitions

INS Maker identifies each patch as a Program (Sound), Drum, or Performance (Combi) patch. If the patch is identified as a drum patch, INS Maker creates a drum key map so that Cakewalk/Sonar will display the correct patch names for each drum key in the piano roll view.

The resulting instrument definition file is a text file that can be viewed and/or edited with any text editor such as Notepad. The file can be imported into Cakewalk, Sonar or any other program that uses a Cakewalk-style .ins file.

INS Maker works with Windows 95 and later versions of Windows. I have tested INS Maker on Win 95, Win ME and Win 2000; users have also reported success with Win 98 and Win XP. If you encounter any problems, please check that you are using the latest version of the program.
Last edited by rank on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Labs Neko (modded)
Forte' 3 64bit (v 3.2.12)
Win 7 x64 | 6 Core Processor | 24 Gigs Ram | Presonus Fire Studio snd-crd
NI Komplete 8 | SyntMaster 2 | Tone 2 Saurus | Omnisphere |

Dirk Offringa

Re: Newbie needs help with .INS file and eCHo

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 am

The .ins file definition was published by Cakewalk ('ins' stands for: 'Instrument Definition File'). Do a websearch for 'Cakewalk .ins File' and you'll find lots of ressources (like this one: http://tweakheadz.com/how_to_build_a_ca ... s_file.htm )

You don'tabsolutely NEED a .ins file for you hardware device. I even find it quite difficult to maintain especially if you're adding patches to your hardware device all the time, but it was helpful for me at several occasions, it definitely speeded up the workflow when I needed to program several dozens of PC's on my hardware devices.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

rank

Re: Newbie needs help with .INS file and eCHo

Postby rank » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:13 pm

ok--cool--got this figured out. Yes, I don't even need to mess with the INS file. I am setting up a vocal fx unit so this is EASY.

The biggest problem I had was trying to over think it and do too much.

Suggestion: Instead of in the Manual it just tells the user what everything is;
It would be much more useful to the CLUELESS like myself to have a simple 5 step example of what EXACTLY is need to fill in the blanks.
The most simple setup of any example instrument or FX unit.

For a generic program change:
Step one: Choose "Generic Device"
Step two: Select MIDI Output Port
Step three: Select MiDI Channel of hardware device
Step four: Select "ADD" --> "Bank/Program Change" then fill in bank and program change info...
Eg. CH 1 .....MSB = 0x0....LSB=0x3....Program = 0...............this sends program change on CH 1, BANK 3, Program 1
Step five: Update scene.
Open Labs Neko (modded)
Forte' 3 64bit (v 3.2.12)
Win 7 x64 | 6 Core Processor | 24 Gigs Ram | Presonus Fire Studio snd-crd
NI Komplete 8 | SyntMaster 2 | Tone 2 Saurus | Omnisphere |

Return to “Forte and EHCo”