USB device management/ hot plug-unplug

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

hisdudeness

USB device management/ hot plug-unplug

Postby hisdudeness » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:36 am

Dear all,

during the soundcheck before our gig last Saturday I had once again a strange issue which appears only very seldom and which I can`t recreate:
After playing a few songs during the soundcheck Forte didn`t responded anymore when I played my masterkeyboards nor when I used any controller on my Novation Remote control surface.
All my midi controls (keys and controls surface) are routed through the USB port of the Novation Remote into the laptop. There was no power outage or anything else. Forte itself I was still able to control with the laptop, so it the application itself was not frozen.
So I unplugged the USB cable of the Novation Remote and plugged it back in. The Novation Remote control surface started working again but not midi notes were received by Forte when I played my masterkeys. So I had to restart Forte completely.

My basic question here is: Can Forte somehow be configure or programmed that I can hot-plug/unplug midi equipment without being forced to restart Forte?

Thanks a lot!
hd

Dirk Offringa

Re: USB device management/ hot plug-unplug

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:05 am

Hi HD

Forte 3 has (is supposed to.... I didn't actually try this out yet) a "hardware rediscover" feature that will re-initialize audio and midi when executing the "panic" command. Forte2 doesn't have this feature.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:26 am

Wow...this is GREAT news!

Thanks Dirk!

hd

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:29 am

Credits go to Mike, of course....

Dirk

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 am

Of course!

But another thought:

What`s about that Power Button in Forte 2? Referring to the manual when the rack is powered off the audio channels are being closed, no VST processing is taking place and the Midi ports will be closed (if not checked to leave them open in preferences).

Wouldn`t that be a perfect switch to re-initialize the attached hardware as well? I don`t know how complicated the programming is here but if this wouldn`t be such an effort and the release of Forte 3 isn`t going to take place soon maybe this would be an idea for another update release of Forte 2.x?

Best regards
hd

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:42 am

Good point hisdudeness
and if we could make it MIDI automatable as well.... it could be triggered from the still working control surface and we wouldn't have to walk over to the computer or bend over to the touchscreen to activate it ;)
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:53 am

It wouldn't make much sense if forte loses the midiport your CS is connected to. I have a keybord shortcut assigned to the power switch, which is OK. It doesn't happen all of time fortunately!

Dirk

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:09 am

Hi Dirk,

how do you toggle the power switch in Forte with a keyboard shortcut?

Thanks!
hd

fab

Postby fab » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:38 am

it should be ctrl+p if I remember correctly, you can assign another one under options/general/keyboard shortcuts.

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:41 am

Now that is some handy information, Dirk. Now if I could only translate a MIDI CC to a keystroke (perhaps using Bome's MIDI translator or MIDI-OX?)...

BTW, I suggested this, because the OP stated that he could still use his Novation controller in his doom scenario. For me it would fix the garbled sound issue I sometimes get, that only power off/power on can fix.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:49 am

Yes, I assigned a custom shortcut. I have a (some) external USB numpad(s) that I use for the most used/most important functions (next/previous, power up/down, sceneview show/hide, so forth) and programmed my custom shortcuts for this. Very handy, small footprint, you can velcro it anywhere.

Dirk

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:52 am

Thanks Fab and shame on me!

I was looking for a general menu option to toggle the power (like "save" in the "File" tab) and totally forgot about the keyboard shortcuts in the preferences ;-)

Sometime I`m just too blind!

Thanks Dirk, too!

Best regards
hd

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:08 am

FYI, the command for "power on/off" is "file:play". Not that obvious.

Dirk

Angel

Postby Angel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:39 am

mhertzbe

Postby mhertzbe » Sat May 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Forte 4 hosting NI Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Aux Bus Set on a Dell Precision M4700 with SSD and 24GB memory. Oxygen 88 keyboard/controller and Steinberg UR44 Midi/Audio I/O

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun May 06, 2012 2:05 am

The re-discover feature has been temporarily disabled, afaik, there were some comptibility issues that couldn't be adressed in time for the official release of forte3.

Dirk

mhertzbe

Postby mhertzbe » Thu May 10, 2012 7:04 pm

OK, thanks. Good to know we can expect it at some point.

M
Forte 4 hosting NI Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Aux Bus Set on a Dell Precision M4700 with SSD and 24GB memory. Oxygen 88 keyboard/controller and Steinberg UR44 Midi/Audio I/O

mhertzbe

Postby mhertzbe » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi, all. Is the "re-discover" feature now available to (for example) get back a midi port after an inadvertent cable pull without re-starting Forte? I just tested on 3.2.16 with no success. I tried setting RestartMIDIOnMIDIPanic=1 in the options.ini and still no joy.

Please explain how to enable/use this feature if it is now available. Thanks.

M

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:40 am

Afaik, Mike abandoned this feature. But maybe he should answer himself.

JulienS

Postby JulienS » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:20 am

Hi,

As a workaround I use MidiOX just before LoopBe1. Forte listens to LoopBe1 (which is always up), and MidiOX does the bridge between the real USB MIDI device and LoopBe1 (and does some filtering as well). In case something goes wrong, restarting MidiOX does the trick. I have no noticeable additional latency.

Julien

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks for mentioning this. It's been awhile since I've looked into it. I agree its needed but I think the issue I had was something to do with the way Windows organizes MIDI devices. I'll research this.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:36 am

I use the same trick as JulienS..

Another advantage of this is that you can use any other USB controller with forte without having to adapt the rack. Just connect the new USB controller port to the virtual MIDI port in MIDI-OX (or Bome's MIDI Translator in my case).

Return to “Forte and EHCo”