first impressions on forte 3.0.20 beta 64bit

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

Volker Grosch

first impressions on forte 3.0.20 beta 64bit

Postby Volker Grosch » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi Mike (and of course everybody interested in this),

only a short summary of the first impressions on the latest beta release 3.0.20 64bit (please don`t see it as any sort of moaning around but a way to give you some additional information on the behavior on my system if you like. Otherwise please tell me and I`ll stop this of course.

First of all: I like the new look. I never was a friend of shadows and 3d designs. To my mind the way to flatten elements is the right one as it makes the surface more transparent for me. I also like the new Scenes and Setlists windows. So for me: well done! :D

Functionality of the Panic Button has changed now: whereas a first push on this button executed the promised function and only a further push led to a crash I now get the crash on the first push. :wink:

Functionallity is o.k. so far but interrupted by some crash situations (I sent some crash-reports for further investigation).

One strange effect: I have a setup that can be loaded but when playing the first notes on a keyboard the rack seems to do lots of scene changes without initiating them from my side (in one case this led to a crash of forte).

On the other hand I seem to observe an advanced behavior concerning audio bursts on the bus-vu-meter (there are some threads on this in the forum - those who have this problem with forte 2 probably know what I mean). I have implemted a mixed rack consisting of 3 Omnisphere and 3 Kontakt Slots (all of them set to: "Do not set Per-scene plugin configuration" in Scene commands). Additionally some FM8, Sylenth and OP-X II Pro (togethe with jBridge) instances plus one instance of EOS as reverb driven by a couple of Dirks great new Aux Bus plugins (a big thank you again for making them available for everybody for free!).

I did heavy program changes (3-4 a second) on this rack and now (other than before) did not get any audio bursts on the meter! I confess: this is not a "in deep" test and maybe I`ll have to report something complete different tomorrow but if these observations are consistent this would be a big step for me. 8)

I did not test the fix for installation on Vista SP1 64bit till now but will do in the next days and report if you like.

So far from here,

kind regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Volker Grosch

Re: first impressions on forte 3.0.20 beta 64bit

Postby Volker Grosch » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi, some additions:

1) Installation on Vista SP1 x64 worked. Thanks for fixing this.
2) I created a rack on the Vista machine (quad core, 8 Gbytes of RAM): 4xOmnisphere, 4xKontakt (both with "Do not set Per-scene plugin configuration" in Scene commands), 2xFM8, 2xSylenth 1, 2xOP-X II Pro (with jBridge), 1x EOS and a bunch of Aux Bus Faders. After storing the rack, restarting forte and reloading the rack I observerd lots of auxhost.64 processes in the Task Manager (??) plus 2 auxhost processes (for the OP-X instances).
3) Lateron I had a permanente load of 25% in forte with all plugins muted. A look at the Task Manager showed there was one auxhost.64 process with a permanent load of 25%. Next strange thing: 2 processes of forte showed up! After shutting down forte again 2 auxhost.64 processes & 1 forte was left. After shutting down these processes by hand the 25% load was also gone.
4) Trying to find plugins: worked flawlessly. Plugs are available but don`t show up in the Plugin Manager but can be found with the search function.
5) Fast changing of Scenes: as I described yesterday no audio-bursts in the vu meters again (and it`s a completely different PC). When I made stress test by hand (>5 changes per second) suddenly a window opened (reproducable): Assertion Failed! Fort.exe: File\ VSTFilter.cpp, Lone 2158. I can definitely say that this isn`t converning jBridge. After chosing "Ignore" forte goes on without a problem, in both other cases I get a crash.
6) I use a RME Multiface soundcard in WDK/KS mode. In forte 2 I get a latency of 4,72ms with a buffer size of 128 Bytes. With the same buffer size the dialog shows 10,16ms now - strange.

kind regards, Volker
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:51 am

Hi Volcker,

Alll this is quite normal. All the auxhost.exe processes you find are JBridge-generated: every bridged plugin runs in it's own host and communicates with the Main host by internal messaging at the OS level. That's the way all bridges work: if you have Reaper, you can observe the same thing, using Reapers own bridges).

A new feature of forte is the ability to run several instances concommitantly. When one crashes and doesn't exit properly, it'll remain in memory, as well as all the JBridge auxhosts that were instanciated by forte. That what you found when you looked for the cause of those extra 25% of CPU (probably something went into an endless loop, the process crashed but didn't exit).

I have reported this issue also: it's indeed a problem that ghost instances can keep running in the background.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Dirk,

well I`m aware of auxhost processes. It is only strange that obviously every 64bit plugin I implemented generated an auxhost.64 process (which means I would have tried to isolate 64bit plugs from a 64bit host which makes no sense). The next effect I didn`t understand was that all the auxhost processes vanished (beside the 2 form OP-X which is 32bit) when loading the rack again...

The fact that more than one instance of forte 3 can be run simultanously was new to me but it would explain the effect I observed.

kind regards, Volker

Return to “Forte and EHCo”