Using the same rack on two machines

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

bburtin

Using the same rack on two machines

Postby bburtin » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:59 pm

I'm running into a snag when I try to create a rack on my desktop PC and then use it on my laptop. Seems like most of the problems stem from the way that forte handles MIDI port configuration. It keeps track of the MIDI port names. So when I try to load the rack on my laptop I get this:

Loading scene Current references MIDI port kX Control CT4832 10k1 [dcc0] which does not exist on this computer.

because my MIDI port on my laptop is named differently than on my desktop. I also get a lot of "access denied" errors for files in the "MIDI Configuration" directory when I exit.

I should be able to work around this by using MIDI Yoke for my MIDI port. But it kind of makes you wonder whether the MIDI routing in forte is a little too smart for its own good. I wouldn't mind if there was some sort of "simple MIDI" mode. You could choose the MIDI ports at the program level and your rack wouldn't have to worry about which port the message is coming from.

Boris

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:05 pm

Version 1.3 has a new feature that will give you an opportunity to remap MIDI ports upon loading an RCF file. For example, if a port doesn't exist, a dialog will pop up and give you a choice of ports that do exist. All further references to that non-existant port will auto-remap after that.

Would this fix your problem?

Thanks for your diligent reporting of issues.

Mike

bburtin

Postby bburtin » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:37 pm

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Looking forward to checking out the 1.3 version.

Is there a way around this error message:

"The MIDI configuration preset specified could not be written to C:\Documents and Settings\Boris Burtin\Application Data\brainspawn\forte 1.0 MIDI Configuration Presets\MDA ePiano_MIDI Yoke NT_ 1.mcf_LastUsed. Error code = Access is denied."

Even when I switch the MIDI port to MIDI Yoke I still get it when I exit forte.

One other thing to possibly think about. If I create a MIDI configuration and then switch the MIDI port on the same PC, all my config mappings get lost. As a result I have to go through every scene and fix the MIDI configurations. I'm able to work around the problem by saving the config to a file and then reloading it, but I have to do it for every scene, so it gets a little annoying.

Thanks again for being so responsive to the issues I bring up. forte is the ideal app I've been looking for for live performance, so I'm glad to help in any way I can.

Boris

ghead

Postby ghead » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:04 pm

Regarding the '...could not be written..." error you are getting, this is interesting. It might be related to the problem you are having when saving some Racks. In both cases it looks like a basic Windows API call is failing. Let me do some research and some digging and see what I can find.

So what you would like to see is a way to copy all MIDI configurations from one port to another port within a Scene? This might be possible, either globally - copy configurations in every module from port A to port B, or local to the module - copy port A to port B in this module. Let me know if this is what you are after.

bburtin

Postby bburtin » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:43 pm

I guess I feel that the MIDI configuration, though incredibly flexible, may be too complex. I think it would simplify things if forte treated MIDI ports like it does audio ports, where they're configured at the program level, not the rack level. So you'd select which ports you're listening to at the program level, and at the rack level all you'd worry about is MIDI channel numbers.

That said, maybe my setup isn't pushing the envelope. Are there users out there for whom 16 channels is really not enough? I'd be curious to find out when 16 channels isn't enough.

Here are the options I can think of:

1) Stick with the current scheme. This is more flexible/more complex and affects people that change MIDI ports.

2) Switch to simpler MIDI handling. The program merges input from all selected MIDI ports so that the rack only deals with channels. This is what Cakewalk, Audiomulch and many other apps do. This would affect people that really do rely on configuring racks at the port level.

3) Create virtual MIDI ports inside forte and allow users to map physical MIDI ports to the virtual ports. Would potentially add even more complexity. Moving a rack from one system to another would be possible if the same virtual ports were defined on both systems.

My policy when writing software is to keep things simple, so I'd opt for option 2. But you guys know your users much better than I do. If you feel that people really depend on being able to configure multiple ports separately, maybe there's a way to set things up so that everyone's happy.

Boris

frosenthal

Postby frosenthal » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:22 pm

Oh no please don't change the midi flexibility currently available!!!

Frank L. Rosenthal

Return to “Forte and EHCo”