mid channel configuration

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

l.john

mid channel configuration

Postby l.john » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:17 am

I've been searching a good VST/DX Station for a long time (I'm actually using Chainer in my live session); I was really impressed at the first, so I downloaded the demo version.

Unfortunately I found unespected problems with your soft; first of all...I use a notebook AMD 1,3 ghz, 1 gb of ram, Win XP home, Echo Indigo soundcard and ONE (and I'd like to continue so :wink: ) keyboard.

I need to assign a different midi channel to every soft synth, becouse with my keyboard I can change midi channel very quickly (i.e. B4 channel 1, GRAND channel 2, Halion channel 3........); I tried to do this in the midi configuration, choosing for every instrument the right channel but seems it doesn't work. I mean I change channel from my keyboard but all the instrument play at the same time.
Moreover every time I configure a midi channel (i.e. from 1 to 1) in an instrument, changing tab and going back to the midi configuration seems that the program has not taken the information.

Consider that INDIGO has only ONE OUTPUT :( :( ....my question is if what I'm trying to do is possible....

the only solution I found at this moment is to load Chainer that has the possibility to change midi channel very easily (don't know why but seems the only one since V-STACK has the same limitation), and then load a VST instrument in Chainer.

You could imagine that this is VERY FRUSTRATING and very uncomfortable....so I'm still not sure if it's the moment to change Chainer for FORTE. :? :?:

I must confess that the possibility to do LAYERS (using the same midi channel) is really GREAT :P :P :P but sometimes I need to use the single sound in all the keyboard.

Please tell me something...

Thanks in advance

l.john

I forget to say...

Postby l.john » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:53 am

Just for complete the information...I use MIDISPORT 2X2
:lol:

ghead

Postby ghead » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:32 am

What you want is possible with forte. For example, I just started forte and added the VSTi 'Big Tick Rainbow'. I then opened the Console and switched to the 'Channels' tab. I wanted to make the synth respond only to channel 2, so I first clicked on the 'Disable All' button, I then clicked in the 'To' column by channel 2 and set it to 'Channel 1'. Now, playing my MIDI keyboard, set to channel 2, plays the VSTi. When I Change my keyboard to play on channel 1, the synth does not play.

Can you try the simple Rack I described above and see if it works for you? If so , then please try to build a more complex Rack using the steps above as a guideline.

Regarding the MDI configuration 'losing' your information, when a channel is Unity mapped - ie channel 1 to channel 1, it is not displayed in the list. It is there and not lost, just not displayed, as this is the default setting - all channels are Unity mapped.

l.john

Postby l.john » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:36 am

ok...thanks for your reply.

But in the column "from" what should I choose???

thx

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:59 am

I'm not sure which channels the plugins you mentioned respond to, so I'll assume they all only respond to channel 1. In that case you want your MIDI configuration set up as follows:

B4 - Disable all, then on 'From' for channel 1 set 'To' to channel 1.
Grand - Disable all, then on 'From' for channel 2 set 'To' to channel 1.
HALion - Disable all, the on 'From' for channel 3 set 'To' to channel 1.

With this setup, B4 will only respond to MIDI channel 1, The Grand will only respond to channel 2 and HALion will only respond to channel 3.

l.john

Postby l.john » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:26 am

thaaaaaanks :D :D :D

NOW I understand what I've to do!!!!

I'll get a try later...thx

ghead

Postby ghead » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:08 pm

Let me know if the set up described above doesn't work for you. BTW, I posted that - must have forgotten to log in.

l.john

Postby l.john » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:33 am

yeeeeeees :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

it really works!!!! wonderful....thanks for suggestions :D :D

I think I'm gonna buy it.

please: implement a VOLUME slider and a CPU meter

thanks...great work

ghead

Postby ghead » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:14 am

Both of those features are planned for a future update. Stay tuned....

Return to “Forte and EHCo”